Replacement Delta CS motor

Page 2 of 2

Marathon lost the Delta business about the time that the US made 34-444 was discontinued. The motor change was a big mistake IMHO. I've noticed that Marathon motors are now sold for woodworking machinery through Woodworkers Supply mail order. They have long sold Baldors and Leesons.
And I assume you have checked to make sure that it is not something simple like a centrifugal switch, a an overload reset switch or a capacitor.
You can probably get a motor from WW Grainger, however, I would go with a Marathon or Baldor. The weak link is the dustproof centrifugal switch and those people have years of experience in manufacturing those.
You can order a variety of motors from Grainger Supply. They have good stock, fast delivery, and good prices.
jwoo wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

Last month I bought a 34-444 with a burned out motor off Ebay for pretty dirt cheap. Took the motor to a local electric motor repair place (Plainfield, btw)and it turned out to be lots of dust blocking that centrifugal switch, and a loose wire in the run capacitor. The repair guy had it fixed in less than 5 minutes, and did it for free. The motor's a Marathon/Delta 1.5 hp, and runs fantastic now.
Have it looked at, it may actually be fine.
BTW, I won the ebay bid for only $58, with a unifence and right side extention table. Still grin whenever I think of how lucky I got.
Rob
Mike Berger wrote:

Grainger is expensive for a retail customer.
Check the local yellow pages under "Motor, Electric".
A few years ago, I bought a replacement Baldor 3HP spa pump motor from a local guy for a fraction of even the best web sources, and far less than other outlets, like Northern Tool and Grainger. The local guy accepted the old motor for a core refund. He needed 48 hours to get it, but the two day wait was worth it.
The local guys are everywhere, sometimes it takes a moment or two to find and call them. This one was 15 minutes from home, and listed with 20 more such shops in the phone book. Typically, they don't take credit cards, so bring a blank check.
FWIW, before he sold me a new motor, he spent a few minutes to see if he could fix the old one. <G>
Barry
Yeah Grainger has always been on the pricey side...not a surprise.
On a funnier note, the motor actually works fine! Originally when I pushed the reset button to see if that was the problem, it didn't go down all the way. But i thought that was as low as it could go. I was disassembling the motor again last night...lo and behold, a tiny chip of wood wedge in under the reset button. Plucked that booger outta there, pushed the reset button and voila! I feel stupid and relieved at the same time! Thanks for all your help guys!
jwoo
jwoo wrote:

I never feel stupid until after I've spent the money!
Glad it's working!