Replace my drill - Advice ?

I've had my Makita 6201 9.6V drill for close to 9 years now. This thing has a LOT of miles on it and is still mechanically great as near as I can tell. However, the batteries now won't hold a charge nearly as long as they used to, and I've noticed that the keyless chuck is getting difficult to loosen after it's tightened - it should probably be replaced before I get irritated with it.
What do you guys do when you really love a tool, but the cost of the parts to bring it back up to speed make it questionable as to whether or not to keep it or buy new ?
Along those same lines, what's hot right now in cordless drills ? I'm not crazy about those long skinny battery Makitas - I like the shorter grip better. I keep seeing some good looking PC's, Dewalts, milwaukees out there, but obviously I haven't had to shop for one for a while !
jim bailey

irritated
First see if you can fix the chuck problem. Oil it or whatever and then decide if you can get it workable on the cheap. If that works out, then look into having the batteries rebuilt and look at the cost of that. It's usually much cheaper than buying new batteries, even if they are still available. The battery problem can be solved without too much problem, so worry about the chuck and decide from there if it's time to buy new or not.
I've had a DeWalt for about 5 years now and the poor things been through H*ll, dropped from ladders had paint spilled in it you name it! It still works like new aside from the batteries not holding the charge like yours, but I have three batteries and a fast charge so this is not really a problem YET. It will still complete a room of drywall on a single battery.When she does finally go I will replace it with another DeWalt most likely will get an 18vt model.
Rich

has
tell.
irritated
there,
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:18:55 GMT, "Jim Bailey"
I have a Makita 9.6 and a DeWalt 14.4. The one thing I'm sure about with cordless drills is that one is too few! <G>
I usually use the Makita as a power screwdriver and the DeWalt as an actual drill. For instance, I find it very handy to have one unit set up with a screwdriver bit and the other set up with a taper drill / countersink combo.
I like both, the Makita was only about $75 at Coastal Tool, including 2 batteries and a charger. The DeWalt was about $150 with 2 batteries and a quick charger.
Overall, I think I prefer the DeWalt's ergonomics, chuck, and clutch, if I could only have one of them.
Barry
Generally speaking, it is normally just a little bit more to replace the drill and it will probably come with 2 batteries, a charger,and a case than it is to buy 2 new batteries by themselves. I still have a Makita right angle drill that I got in the mid 80's. Go out and put your hands on all of them and see which seems the best fit to your hand. If you have a corded drill I would go with 12 volt. Personally I do not like the weight of the higher voltage models. Panasonic probably builds the best of all.
One of the Woodworking magazines I forget which one I saw at Barnes & Nobles just did a complete rundown on the latest cordless drills. I think the Panasonic came out on top and the rest of the field close behind, seems like the Milwaukee may have been second. What made the Panasonic stand out was its battery performance which I believe is the most important anyway.

I'm getting next to nothing performance wise from my Panty-sonic 12 volt. Anyone else having this problem?
UA100
CRAFTSMAN!!!!! :-)
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

About cordless anything.
Make sure it uses NiMH batteries, not NiCad batteries. NiCad is being replaced in all kinds of battery powered devices now because NiMHs last 40% longer, do not suffer from memory problems (convenient to recharge before run down), and are less destructive to the environment when disposed of.
wrote

40%
While your information here to get NiMH over the NiCad is correct, there can be a problem with switching these type batteries. The "traditional" NiMH batteries CANNOT be left in a charger to trickle charge. NiCad batteries can be left in the charger. Also, the "Traditional" NiMH batteries recharge life cycles are about half of the NiCad batteries.
That said, the "NEW GENERATION, NiMH batteries can be left in the charger indefinitely and have a recharge life cycle equal to the NiCad batteries.
One should insure that the New Generation NiMH batteries are being used.
Jim Bailey wrote:

I let my son take it apart to see how its guts work, and I buy a new one.
Usually. Depends on what it is, really. For a cordless drill, I'd definitely buy a new one. The new ones are better/faster/lighter/cheaper usually. Of course, it bears noting that I don't actually own a cordless drill. I borrow Dad's occasionally, but mostly I just use my trusty ol' corded model that runs for as long as I care to pull the trigger.
I like the Dewalt 14.4V...plenty of power, not as heavy in the hand as the 18V drills. Got one for $100 on Ebay... As a carpenter, I use mine alot. If I need more power, I can use my electric drills...
david