replace interior door knobs/locks

My house has the standard (for Texas anyway) fake panel doors with cheap Kwickset knobs/locks. They are now 12-13 years old and beginning to show some wear. I would like to repace them with something with a little more class, like maybe glass knobs but all I find are antique replacements which use the old door lock types with the big keys. This takes an entirely different mounting hole than the Kwickset's. Besides they cost about $100 a pop so for a dozen or so doors that is just a bit more class than I want. Does anyone know of a replacement knob set that will fit the Kwickset hole and maybe has a glass knob? Preferable cheap and classy looking. Thanks.

Reply to
Texas slacker

DAGS. There are plenty using the key words "Glass door knob lock".

Gotta buy three to get these:

there are these guys

are plenty more, including more folks selling retro kits.

For me, I would buy the whole lock somewhere. Kwikset quality is middling to poor quality, and if the locks are that old and are in constant use, I wouldn't give replacement a second thought if I was going to be hanging around.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

An added comment.

I can still remember my father complaining about these knobs when he was forced to use them in a house he built in 1947.

Can't remember why he had to use them, probably availability (1947 was a housing boom year), just remember the glass to metal bond kept breaking and the knobs were a total PITA to use.

And yes, they really were BFU!

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, OK guys these use the square shaft. I have no problem with throwing the Kwickset stuff away but what do I use to adapt the qwickset hole to the new stuff? Is there a cover plate or an adapter to get me from Kwickset to China special? Thanks

Reply to
Texas Slacker

You may not need anything to cover the holes. You could also call the vendors on the DAGS page.

Just in case you don't know what they are called, the cover plates are called escutcheons.

So you know what's coming......

Yes you do.....

Drum roll......

DAGS "door lock escutcheon" and you will get results like these:

kidding with you. Good luck.

I am in one of those nasty good moods that I get on occasion, this one due to the fact that in just 3 hours I will be watching the gallant heroes of our local AA baseball club. My first game of the season.

The field will be groomed, the uniforms clean, the annually refreshed paint won't be peeling and it should be in the 70s this evening.

Since it isn't but the second day of the homestand, the beer won't be flat, and the dogs won't be overdried tubes of meat with gummy dough around them.

I can't f**** wait!

Odd... not much on major league ball at all, but I love this bush league stuff.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I think Texas Slacker is referring to the "D" shaped shaft that the Kwikset door sets use.

Reply to
Nova

You might have a look at

On the Emtek link

will find the different Emtek crystal knob styles and a link to the Emtek pdf. If you click on one of the knobs from the above link, it will show the required bore. Most seem to be standard

2 1/8" bore with the 2 3/8" backset. They also have the old style restoration knobs that take the square rod.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.