Repairing a Tonk revolving piano stool

First off, why do people think I can repair furniture just because I make furniture? Anyway, a friend has presented me with a Tonk piano stool. One of the rungs has splintered off, leaving a splintered tenon in the center column mortise. She says this has been previously glued which has failed. At first glance, it looks like I will need to implant a dowel into the rung and remove the splintered tenon. I have tried to (gently) remove the rung and side assembly from the bottom piece but it won't come out. I guess I could just clean out the old glue, re-glue, clamp and be done with it but I don't think this would make a proper repair. I wouldn't touch it as it may be an antique, but it has had previous repairs done on it and probably worth under $200. Any guidance?

Make a replacement piano bench or stool??
I know about the repair thing. My wife is a quilter. She specializes in baby quilts. Any kind of tailoring or adult clothing repair, everybody wants her to fix it. After all, all quilters have sewing machines, right?
You have my sympathy, I make toys and have at least one or two people wanting furniture repair each week. Lot of difference between a wooden car and a chair. Good extra money though after I gave in and started doing it.