Repairing a failed joint

I have an old cradle (from when I was a baby) that I want to fix up to use.
It has a stringer board that has barrel-shaped threaded inserts in the end grain that gets bolted to the upright. The inserts have loosened and come out of the board but they still can thread onto the bolts.
Obviously, a failure of any solution here could be disastrous should a baby be in the cradle at the time.
So, how do I fix it? Can I fill the holes with glue and (after it cures) redrill a new holes for new inserts without it failing? Or do I need to replace the board completely (which I don't want to do as this is an antique)?
Thanks,
codepath
"codepath" writes:

use.
baby
This is a natural for an epoxy thickened with microballoons.
It is very straight forward as long as you keep your wits about you.
Go to the library and get a copy of "The Gougeon Bros on Boat Construction".
All the necessary info RE: procedures and techniques are covered.
(It will take you longer to read how to do it than it will to do the job).
HTH
--
Lew

Don't fill the holes with glue, but rather with dowels and glue. Or get a tougher baby. Tom Codepath wrote:>I have an old cradle (from when I was a baby) that I want to fix up to use.

Someday, it'll all be over....
Should be able to epoxy the inserts back in I would think. Maybe further secure the joint with some biscuits, dowels, or maybe even screws with some plug covers. Assuming you're going for a permanent bond. Without seeing what you have there its kind ofhard to determine the best and strongest route.
Jim

use.
baby
Thanks all.
So glue dowels into the holes (with I assume Titebond wood glue), cut off excess and sand smooth (flush), redrill the holes, and epoxy the inserts back in.
Epoxy recommendations? I look at the orange Borg and saw Gorilla Glue, Super Glue, and others (I don't know the difference).
codepath

use.
baby
"codepath" writes:

Dowels and wood glue are totally unnecessary and will result in a weaker joint than using epoxy and microballoons.

Super
WEST System epoxy products available almost anyplace except the borg.
Do a google for a store near you.
--
Lew