Repair my Emglo AM78-HV4V air compressor

Page 1 of 2

We were using our Emglo and shut it down for a lunch break. When we came back and tried to start it again all we got was a load electrical hum and sometimes it would pop our 15 amp breaker.
I pulled the compressor/electric motor unit loose from the rest of the compressor so I could get to its guts. When I turned the fan blade by hand (it turned very easily) I could hear the compressor piston working. I even connected the AC power back up but still heard the hum. When I gave the fan a twist the motor started running the compressor. However, the motor won't start the compressor on its own.
I tried a quick test of the start-up capacitor with my multimeter and it appears to be OK. It slowly climbs in ohms until infinity. Reversed the probes and it does the same thing. Sounds like the capacitor is OK to me.
I wanted to pull the electric motor loose from the case so I could see the brushes and rotor. I removed all the mounting screws from everything I could see, but I can't seem to pull the unit apart to get to the motor. Everything is loose and I can twist the case a few degrees, but I can't pull it apart.
Anybody know how I can get the motor out so I can look at its guts. Any help is appreciated. Pretend I'm a dunce and be pretty specific.
Thanks, Mike
Just because a cap doesn't leak at the low voltage provided by a VOM does not mean it isn't leaking at working voltage. Try substituting another cap and see if it helps. My outside air conditioning unit was doing exactly the same thing. Diagnosis: bad starting cap. If your motor uses two caps (one for start, one for run) check the centrufugal switch that controls the caps to see if it is broken. Good luck. 73 Gary
Gary,
Thanks for the input. I'll try to find somebody local that can do a heavy-duty test on this cap.
Mike
Mike S. wrote:

It's probably still the start cap. Given the relatively low expense of electrolytic capacitors, I'd just replace the start cap and see if that fixes it. My guess is it will.
Take off the "bubble" on the side of the motor and look at the start cap. It may obviously be defective, or maybe you can just get the numbers off it and take them to Grainger or wherever you go to buy a new one. Easy to splice it back in, simple fix. Even if that isn't the problem it won't hurt and it will probably only cost you like $7.
GWE
Hi Grant,

$50. I want to make sure it's dead before I replace it.
Thanks, Mike
I am surprised about the cost of caps that you were quoted. They actually should cost a lot less. I have a few start caps that I bought new for like $3 apiece, each about 180 uF. I can sell you a couple for the same price, I have too many. If you arer local to Chicagoland, I can loan you some.
Can you remove belt (if it is a belted compressor) and see if the motor starts by itself without a load?

Another test is to put a pull rope in the pulley (with no compressor), turn the AC power on, and try to start it like a gasoline engine. Or a RPC without pony motor or caps.
Joe Gwinn

Yes, that's a good test, but make sure that all rope is gone off the shaft before you turn AC on (could sound obvious, but needs to be said).

Lots easier just to give the pulley a spin by hand.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Already tried that. Motor starts, but very slowly.
Mike
If you were quoted $50 for a capacitor, I'd seriously try to find another place to deal with - what exact value capacitor do you need? did you check local electronics supply/surplus houses (be sure to say it's a motor start capacitor) - the last one I bought (three days ago) was 600 uf at 220VAC for $12, generally lower capacitance values are less expensive.
Bill
www.wbnoble.com
to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it
will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Hi Bill,
Don't have it in front of me any more. Sent it home with my brother. But, if memory serves me correctly it's 60uF, 360VAC. The repair shop quoted $50.00, the Emglo (DeWalt?) website quoted $43.00. Pretty pricey item, I guess.
Mike

There are many starting caps/run caps/start kits on ebay. Check out
7576085987, HVAC MOTOR START CAPACITOR NEW 53-64 mfd 330 VAC M. About $11 with shipping. I consider this price expensive, by the way. Your dealer, though, is trying to rob you blind.

still wouldn't start. If I gave the motor fan a spin and applied power it started to run - although the start up time was very slow.
Mike S.
If two repair houses told you $50 for the start capacitor then you are being held up with out a gun. Those greedy bastards are not happy with a 100% mark up to sell at $15 then screw them.
Like others, I cannot think of anything beside the cap.

The only thing I can think of is the unloader (if your compressor has one). If it's sticking, there may be too much back pressure, and the motor isn't powerful enough to overcome it.

Hi Bob,

the rest of the compressor it also removed it from all the air tanks etc. Like I said, spinning the compressor by hand was very easy. Its just that the motor won't start on its own.
Thanks, Mike

That virtually guarantees that the problem is one of two things: 1) stuck/bad (open) centrifugal switch for the start windings on the motor 2) bad start cap.
I'd be tempted to try some 'impact engineering' to see if one can induce the centrifugal switch to close. Proceed at your own risk. <grin>

where it's located. It's not on my exploded view diagram.
Mike