Repair desk finish

I have a teak desk that I bought at a Scandanavian store many years ago. In my previous office, I had the right side against the wall and I needed to secure a few wires so I attached a couple of those wire guides with the double-stick tape on the back to the top corner of the desk. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but I was in a hurry.

I recently moved my office and now the left side is against the wall. I was able to get most of the double-stick tape off except for a little residue. so, again in a hurry, I used some Goof-Off or something similar. Unfortunately, it softened the finish, too. When I wiped it off, it left the finish cloudy and slightly tacky.

Is there any simple way to fix that one spot (about 2" x 3") or so without refinishing the entire top?

I don't know if the finish is polyurethane, lacquer, or what. I'm guessing it's not polyurethane as Goof-Off probably wouldn't touch that, right?

Reply to
LurfysMa

Trying to take shorts cuts is what got you in this fix in the first place, but you already know that.

I'd contact a professional restorer and get an opinion and also a quote, if they will give you one.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lacquer, dollars to doughnuts. Easy to spot refinish lacquer...

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks to everyone for the help. I was able get it looking pretty good with some steel wool and some lacquer touch up in a spray can.

Reply to
LurfysMa