Reoganized the shop

Got a proper dust collector (JDS w/ 1 micron cannister) and had to bump out a wall a bit to make a little area for it and the shop vac. Rearranged the tools to get the drum sander, band saw, and edge sander close to the dust collector as I'm not ducting it all over the place. As a bonus I have room to add in a planer now, up against the wall on the right. I left the hose going to the drum sander long enough to reach out to the middle of the shop where the planer would be in use. You can't see the edge sander, it's tucked in the bay behind the drum sander - the outfeed clears the top of it.
http://krtwood.com/images/shop/shop5.jpg
On the bench is the latest project, a modular jewelry box system. Basically each drawer is its own unit and they stack, aligned with four dowels. A different kind of challenge for me as usually it's one ofs or things made in batches that don't have to perfectly match the previous batch, with this I have to be able to make a near perfect match the next run. Used a template and router for the dowel holes and an 1/8" roundover on everything will hide any minor differences.
http://krtwood.com/images/shop/shop6.jpg
I used to have the bench as a pennisula against a shelving unit which was against the wall. Now it's pulled out to the middle of the room, which I always tried to avoid because of all the cords of the power tools. My solution was to build sort of a power tool entertainment center. Power strip in the back and everything is plugged in through each tool's cubby. It's a little annoying having to get the cords back in every time I use something, but not as annoying as a tangled mess of cords next to the bench. On top is the dovetail jig, and I built it to be at a comfortable height for that, higher than the bench and having it used it now it makes a big difference. And then on top of THAT is the spindle sander, which lifts off easily enough. I still need to build a little box to go behind the akeda to hold all the pin/tail guides.
http://krtwood.com/images/shop/shop7.jpg
I guess I have drawn that out for as long as I can and have to go back to sanding now.
-Kevin
"Kevin" showed us some pictures of his shop...
Uhh..., Kevin. You should give some kind of warning on your shop pictures. I was almost blinded by how shiny and clean everything was. My heart skipped a beat or two. Scared the hell out of me. It ain't natural. <G>
Looks good. I built a cubbyhole system for my electric hand tools too. But plugging each into a power strip at that location would not work for me.
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:13:58 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

I had to clean to move the tools! There's still a good pile of saw dust and scraps under the TS as that stayed in the same spot, you just can't see it because the jointer is in the way. And if you saw what was on the other side of the those walls you'd feel much better. A good portion of the mess just migrated over there.
-Kevin
Kevin wrote:

;-)
--
Froz...

Kevin wrote:

Yabbut, but, but where do you keep the tools that you /use/?
:)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

he use them? I guess you just don't get it.
Luigi

Okay you caught me. This is my body double shop. The real shop is on the other side of the wall.
You see I have this fairly new rule. If I want to take a break I have to buy it with a pull up. There's a bar over the door on the other side of the wall. But cleaning isn't a break you see, it's still work. So that little loophole results in a lot of cleaning :)
-Kevin
Nice setup.
Is the jointer low enough that it is below the table saw table?

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:28:53 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

It is, there was a handle on the fence sticking up which I removed, and never really got the point of anyway - it was easier to just grab the fence. That part of the layout has stayed the same, and works really well.
-Kevin

I hate you. :-)
--

-MIKE-

If I ever decide to put together a team to pull off a heist, like break into a bank, I want Kevin to clean up after us.
Kevin wrote:
... snip

Nice setup.

Rob Leatham