removing veneer on dining table top ?

I have an older but good table that has a lot of scratches and 'tears' on the surface. If I go ahead and replace the veneer...should I sand the old top of..or...try to l"delamination' it with a heat gun or iron and then sand the surface smooth ?

Any other ideas/ways to remove old veneer before re-veneering ?

Thanks, TR

Reply to
tr

Trying to remove old veneer or formica is more trouble than what it's worth. But if you have the patience, it can be done with much scraping. If you want a faster route, you can always sand the top of the veneer and re-apply a new sheet on top of it. Though, if you already have chipped veneer, then your only opiton is to remove.

Reply to
SBH