Removing stains from Red Oak?

At work, we have some laminated red oak beams with a whitewash-type stain that my job super decided we should leave the vapor barrier on (for several months). We've removed the wrapping and there are some mildew stains on the wood. We tried everything from bleach to Goof-Off to Oxy-Clean to remove these stains. Nothing has worked.

So, anybody have any ideas (other than sanding)?

Thanks.

Killers by day, lovers by night, drunkards by choice-but Marines, by God.

Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

If it is a black color, try putting on a saturated solution of oxalic acid. Let it dry and brush off the residue. A stain typically will also seal the wood. The mildew, or whatever the stain is, may be under the sealer. If that is so, you will probably have to sand it to get it out.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas