removing stain from your hands

I heard this tip on American Restorations this past week. Basically they said that if you get wood stain on your hands, put some olive oil on them and it will help remove the stain. something in the olive oil is a natural solvent of r wood stains. I just thought I would pass it on.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Ellzey

When I was twelve or so three of us boys were hired to wash and paint the stairwell and hallways of a tenement apartment building. We did every bit as efficient a job as you might expect, and some clowning around crept into the process as well. One of my friends threw a paint brush at me , leaving a significant amount of white oil-based paint in my hair.

My Mom was none too pleased at that, and spent an hour or so combing it out after applying enough olive oil so soak my hair completely.

I smelled like a salad, but it worked (slowly).

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Fast Orange hand cleaner with the grit works very well too. For stubborn stains use a little paint thinner before the Fast Orange hand cleaner. Leaves you hands smelling like oranges.

Reply to
Leon

Early season pecan picking, some with the green or semi-green hull still on , would color our fingers brown. Took 3 or so days to wear off. Never thou ght to use any particular product to remove the stain. I'd be tempted to t est WD-40, also, touted to do wonders for removing stuff. I like to think I'm smart enough not to pick green pecans, these days, though.

Peanut butter is supposed to remove chewing gum from hair... wonder if it w ould remove paint, also. Greg, try H2O2 next time... let us see what happe ns.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Real woodworkers use a fresh sheet of 80 grit sand paper like a hand towel.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

---------------------------------------------------- GO-JO, don't leave home without it.

Been using it for years.

Still manufactured in Akron, OH.

BTW, doesn't contain grit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I tried most all through the years, Goop, Go-Jo , etc. originally used Goop in early 70s.

Finally switched to Fast Orange 20+ years ago.

BTW Go-Jo is available with the grit/ pumice if you desire that. Having been in the auto business, any hand cleaner with out grit/pumice, worked marginally.

Leon

Actually I use 240 grit with soap and water. It is the only thing that works for me on printer ink and polyurethane glue. Plus it leaves the skin smooth.

Reply to
Ray

---------------------------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- "Le>

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

When I need grit, still have a couple of bars of LAVA soap, does that count?

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A friend's son found that Purify mouthwash would remove walnut hull stain from his hands. But it's not being made anymore. There may or may not be a connection between the two previous sentences :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I bathe with Lava, ;~) That stuff never came close to do removing grease and stain like the Fast Orange with Pumice.

Seriously the Fast Orange with the Pumice is not tough on your hands and really really works well with minimal effort. You should try a tube out. I buy it in the pump gallon size.

Reply to
Leon

A gallon of Fast Orange with the Pumice sits in my shop for the nasty clean up jobs too... it works well. I've also used it to clean my Arkansas stones that were loaded up. It works well as the stones cut better afterward.

Gasoline, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, acetone, carbon tetrachloride and lacquer thinner had been put into play at times over the years... none of which was a good idea... but who knew... the awareness level was low and clean hands seemed more important to some. I recall some teachers in particular whom felt that clean hands were critical and no excuses were acceptable... I believe they are all dead. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Lew

Reply to