Removing *some of* the paint from a wooden door, smoothing the surface for new paint

a fiberglass door.. Cost a bit more, but I should never have to replace it again in my lifetime.
I worked for 2 different window and door companies over the years and saw enough trouble with exterior wood panel doors to convince me never to buy anoyher one.
On 5/18/2016 10:49 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

LOL. The easy way out may be to build a whole new door and paint it. ;~)
Greg Guarino wrote:

1. Hand sand the areas with a hard rubber sanding block. The goal is twofold: 1, accomplish some but not all feathering and 2, primarily, to renew the weathered surface of the exposed wood.
2. Get a tube of fairing/body purtty at Napa or other similar. You could use Bondo but the putty is easier to work with and MUCH easier to sand. It is basically talc and lacquer so if you have the ingredients you can make your own.
3. Apply the putty with one of those credit card size, flexible plastic spatulas used for bondo. The goal is to fill low areas. When dry, hand sand the areas with a hard rubber sanding block. Repeat if necessar.
4. Prime and paint.
BTW, the paint will probably eventually crack again at the joints
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 3:00:57 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

I save my hotel card keys for things like spreading bondo, mixing small batches of epoxy (JB Weld, etc.), even shims in some cases.
...snip...