Removing *some of* the paint from a wooden door, smoothing the surface for new paint

No, not you, sorry, it was meant for snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca

Reply to
dadiOH

Your experience with polyester resin differs with mine. It also differs with that of numerous companies that use it for commercial water proofing. It also differs with that of the manufacturers who say it is water proof.

As to Bondo, it's water absorption is in the order of 0.3%. Water resistant enough for me, especially after painting :)

Reply to
dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote in news:nhg5ag$haa$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Well, to be accurate epoxy wasn't all that common back in the

50's and 60's when polyester was widely used, before the problems with blistering became widely recognized.

If you built a boat with polyester in this century you made a mistake (albeit without bad consequences, apparently). Epoxy has been the norm since the 80's; when I started boatbuilding in the 90's it was accepted that epoxy was the only way to go. (the arguement then became whether to use West System, System Three, or Mas epoxy).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Wow. Really more answers than I could have hoped for. But the job has been in progress since yesterday and the results are looking acceptable, I think. He's using the Bondo.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Gasp! OOOFUUUCCCKKINGGMMMMGGGG, we're done for.

NOT Bondo!!! ... puppies will die, and gigantic holes will be ripped in the space-time continuum.

Say isn't so ...

Reply to
Swingman

Hey - you can't comment Karl. Don't you remember - you were deemed to be a "clown". (by some clown on google groups - who must know what he's talking about 'cause he posted a link...)

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I am beginning to think you don't read any of the posts. It's OK, I partic ipate in another forum where most of the members read the first sentence, s ometimes two, and that's all they read.

I like your "new" thoughts, although... they sure sound familiar.

ces, if they are fine cracks I use the same thing. I apply it as close as possible with a tool, then smooth it a bit with a wet paper towel.

ls them against further deterioration. As noted above, most likely these c racks will come back, but if the raw edges are sealed up with caulk it will slow down the process quite a bit. I use caulk on the joinery because doo rs always flex at the joints. Maybe not a lot, but always, and with all th at I have repaired that is almost always "the scene of the crime". Rock Ha rd will break apart after a while due to this flexing and it offers no prot ection to the surface it is attached to. It isn't made to do that; it is a filler.

That was from two days ago.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I am not sure I would trust a post from Karl at this point either unless he attaches a link to an unrelated video uploaded by an idiot shill to further their own agenda. I just wouldn't make sense.

Of course if Karl tells me he is now a member of The Flat Earth Society and he includes a video on making raspberry scones as his proof, I'll take it!

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

What's a "scone"??

Is there a Cajun word for that? Got a link?

Reply to
Swingman

Here you go...

Savoury (Tomato Cajun) Scone

DerbyDad03

Merci, mon ami ...

Thought I was the only one who spread little coonies to England.

"Cajun powder"??

Don't think the "d", belongs, cher. lol

Reply to
Swingman

They are selling it by the gallon now, stock up!

Reply to
Markem

When I replaced the wooden front door of my house I replaced it with a fiberglass door.. Cost a bit more, but I should never have to replace it again in my lifetime.

I worked for 2 different window and door companies over the years and saw enough trouble with exterior wood panel doors to convince me never to buy anoyher one.

Reply to
clare

Markem wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Right, because you never know when you'll want to seal up a screen door on a submarine!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

LOL. The easy way out may be to build a whole new door and paint it. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

What is "giggle groups"? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Someone didn't clean the wood down to solid wood. They covered over the weathered cracking window and painted over. The hot sun simply steamed moisture from behind and did the 2-step on the fix.

Epoxy resin is used as a wood preservative. But the wood is cleaned up and bad taken off then it is poured on.

That was like putting on a bandage on a wet wound and the glue doesn't stick.

Mart> >> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

So your experience is that water leaks through your body repairs? Glad I don't get my car fixed at _your_ shop.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah, I've heard that wood frame construction isn't approved either. I don't know where you people get this stuff. Next you're going to say that glass windows aren't allowed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Never leaks though mine. I seal the repair before adding filler.. Generally use fiberglass re-enforced epoxy over any rust repair or brazed patch and just enough filler to smooth it out because the fiberglass is hard to fine-finish. Guys who punch holes in the rusty metal and fill with Bondo WILL have the bondo pop., as will those who "stitch" in a metal patch and cover with Bondo.

Reply to
clare