Removing sanding sleeves

I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.
I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum without damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)
John
John, the advise to roll it back and forth to help stretch the rubber back to its original shape helps. Then throw it in the freezer for 1/2 hour. The old sanding tube should come off then.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.
I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum without damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)
John

Slacking off a bolt or nut on the end of the spindle should let the sanding cylinder slip off--if it doesn't then it may be time to replace the rubber part. Or if it was bought used some idiot may have glued it on.
John wrote:

Any I've had have a compression nut for mechanical drums (some are pneumatic altho I'm guessing these aren't)
Particulars for the sander so folks could look? Can't imagine it's not in literature available from PC.
John wrote:

Does the drum have a big honkin' screw on the top? If so, the screw probably expands the drum.
Try loosening the screw - the drum may shrink as a result.

If it's the typical type with a nut on one end to expand the drum, loosten the nut quite a bit then roll the drum on the bench applying mild pressure to the sleeve to force the rubber to contract. The sleeve will slide off. If you can't remove the spindle, loosten the nut then use two blocks of wood to roll the drum between them, again to force the drum to contract.
HTH,
Paul F.
On 2010-10-15 23:20:08 -0400, Paul Franklin

And remember the bolt turns the "wrong" direction -- "lefty-tighty, righty-loosey." (I have trouble remembering this, for some reason...)
said:

FYI typically an attachment nut, bolt, shaft that spins during use is loosened in the same dirrection that it spins during use.

John.. Did your PC sander come with a manual? Doesn't look like anyone here is familiar with that unit.. Sometimes, you just have to RTFM to get an answer....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Hi again. The oscillating spindle sander is a PC SA350K bench model. The unit came with the sanding sleeves already attached to the respective drums. When the drum is attached to the bench unit, the attachment nut compresses the drum and presses against the sleeve. When I remove the sleeve and drum from the bench unit, I find it extremely difficult to remove the worn-out sanding sleeve from the rubber drum. I assumed that someone in this group has had a similar problem and could guide me properly. I THINK that I could lay the worn sleeve and drum on the bench and press the sides of the drum to EXPAND the already compressed drum. I hope.
John

On 10/16/10 11:37 AM, John wrote:

:http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/Delta/a20932,sa350k.pdf
--
Froz...

snipped-for-privacy@cfl.rr.com says...

The sandpaper has no give to speak of, what you have to do is persuade the rubber mandrel to reduce its diameter slightly, which you do by releasing the compressive load provided by the bolt or nut at the end. If that is insufficient, they try rolling the mandrel with sanding sleeve on a flat surface while applying pressure. If that doesn't work, cut the sleeve off and try to find some that fit properly.

Hi John, I would try freezing them to remove the old sleeves and then using some talcum powder on the drums to help prevent the same problem in the future, Gene