removing rust from jointer

Any ideas on removing rust from the bed of a jointer? I use paste wax on my tools, but didn't use the jointer for several years. The rust is too thick to wipe off: I'm pretty sure I'll have to sand it. Is there a liquid rust remover to use first? Is there anything better than mineral spirits for removing paste wax from metal to have a clean surface to protect again?

WD-40 and scotch-brite pads work well. Just let the WD-40 sit for a while then scrub away. I have heard of others putting the scotch- brite under a sander but never tried it.

Yes, WD-40 will work -- but PB-Blaster will work a lot better. You can find it at most auto parts stores.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Almost any wetting fluid will work almost as well--even water (:). All really need is some lubrication...I usually just use kerosene and wet/dry paper of 320 or finer grit.

And you have the added benefit of having some PB Blaster around the house for the next time you try to pull the pitman arm off your steering box. Cheers, cc
ps. it's flammable......DAMHIKT.

Sticks fine to the velcro base on an ROS. Great way to denib between finish coats, too.

Others have responded with the standard procedures for tackling the rust issue, so I won't repeat their words. The best thing for removing was is autobody wax and grease remover. At about $50 per gallon, it's probably not going to be your first choice of approaches, but the stuff does work. In all likelyhood, by the time you get the rust off you'll have all of the wax off as well. Even if you didn't, it would not matter. Simply apply new wax and move on to the next project.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I've luck with Boeshield Rust Free and scotch brights.
S.

Top Saver. Amazing stuff in a pump spray bottle. Spray it on, use a (provided in the kit) abrasive pad to scrub and wipe it off.

Yes, for sure...
I asked the group how to remove the rust and treat my table saw top..
Topsaver was pretty much the unanimous choice and I'm really glad that I tried it... I'm a convinced user now..
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidR62
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Soak it overnight using WD-40,etc,etc.
Using a VERY good razor blade scraper, scrape the rust up using fresh razor blades.
The blade should be at a fairly steep angle to the table top and you should be "shaving" the rust up.
After you have bladed up as much as possible, start again with WD-40 and scotch bright pads and jointer hold down pads.
This is both tiring and messy....
Use lots of WD-40 and paper towels.
After you get it back to clean....
Keep it clean....