removing Mohawk tone finish

We recently bought a stained pine furniture piece which became damaged in transit. We called a furniture repair person to make it 'as-new' but are quite dissatisfied with the results. He used tone finish to blend the filler, but made it far too dark and ended up covering some painted detail. Is there a way to remove the tone finish without damaging pre-existing shelac or paints???
Thanks in advance!
Jeremy
On 13 Jul 2004 10:01:27 -0700, jeremy snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jeremy) wrote:

It depends. The Mohawk stuff will come off if wiped with lacquer thinner. If the next layer down is shellac, you'll probably be OK, if it's also lacquer, you may have some problems. You'd probably be better off completely stripping the piece and refinishing.
What does the repair person say about the poor work?
Barry