Removing knots

I'm a rookie working on making a small vanity top from red oak. Originally I planned leaving a knot in but now would like to remove it. I saw Norm use a jig & router that cut the knot out in a butterfly pattern. Is there a poor man's way to remove the knot, and if so how? BTW, I do have a router?
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:05:20 -0500, "Woodchuck"

Plan your parts so that the knot falls in waste material.
Barry
Yep, I know now, but got it all glued together!
wrote:

Originally I

poor
Woodchuck wrote:

see something like http://www.jesada.com/instructions/inlay_kit.html which will give you some more ideas.
Actually the knot will look better than a patch IMO.
I usually go for the nice rustic, color varying look.
Gary
: I'm a rookie working on making a small vanity top from red oak. Originally I : planned leaving a knot in but now would like to remove it. I saw Norm use a : jig & router that cut the knot out in a butterfly pattern. Is there a poor : man's way to remove the knot, and if so how? BTW, I do have a router?
In planking my boat, I am forced to clear out knots and fill them. What I do is drill out the knot and then epoxy in a plug made from the same material.
However, I'm painting the planks so there's no visual issues.
--- Gregg
My woodworking projects:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html
Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm
Steambending FAQ with photos:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm
"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558