Removing knots

I'm a rookie working on making a small vanity top from red oak. Originally I planned leaving a knot in but now would like to remove it. I saw Norm use a jig & router that cut the knot out in a butterfly pattern. Is there a poor man's way to remove the knot, and if so how? BTW, I do have a router?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Plan your parts so that the knot falls in waste material.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Yep, I know now, but got it all glued together!

Reply to
Woodchuck

see something like

will give you some more ideas.

Actually the knot will look better than a patch IMO.

I usually go for the nice rustic, color varying look.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Woodchuck wrote: : I'm a rookie working on making a small vanity top from red oak. Originally I : planned leaving a knot in but now would like to remove it. I saw Norm use a : jig & router that cut the knot out in a butterfly pattern. Is there a poor : man's way to remove the knot, and if so how? BTW, I do have a router?

In planking my boat, I am forced to clear out knots and fill them. What I do is drill out the knot and then epoxy in a plug made from the same material.

However, I'm painting the planks so there's no visual issues.

--- Gregg

My woodworking projects:

of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

FAQ with photos:

"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558

Reply to
Gregg Germain