remove / replace cill for french doors

I have a pair of French doors with 2 fixed side panels, the cill is completely rotten with a small bit of rot on a couple of uprights where jointed into cill. I was considering cutting these out and replacing in situ rather than taking the whole frame out, but it seems a bit tricky re aligning and jointing the cill with the frame in place. Is this the best/worst way? Is this what the experts do? I've done a fair bit of joinery so I'm ok with the jointing etc. Anyone with experience of this? Any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

John

Reply to
JohnMBrebner

John,

No expert on this but I am rebuilding two sets of French doors (see earlier post) for my niece's house. What I found is that if the threshold (sill) is rotted out, the bottom of the window panels and the door jams may also need repair. I think it would be far easier to take the assemblies out, do any repairs, then reinstall them. A couple of pieces of ply screwed down over the opening would cover the hole while you did a proper repair.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.