Remove carpet before cabinet install?

Page 1 of 2

I have just finished painting some built in cabinets I made for my living room. (I had to have somewhere to put my new plasma tv!!!) My question is: Should I remove the carpet before I install the cabinets or would it be okay to install them over the carpet? The cabinets are ten feet long and will be screwed to the wall. I have three bookcases that will go on top of the cabinet. They will screwed to the wall also. What do yall think? I'm leaning towards removing the carpet but I'm not sure.

Removing it now will make replacing what's left a lot simpler in the future.
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

If the cabinets are permanent you do not have to replace the carpet that is under them, ever.

No, but someone will have to cut it away.
Leaving the carpet in place is a half-assed way to do the job.
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

Is that a big deal?? Who ever lays the new carpet will have to do a lot of cuts anyway. Carpet really cuts quite easily.
Leaving the carpet in place is a half-assed way to do the job.
I would not say so, it would save a lot unnecessary work as you will have to cut it away, put down tack strips and restretch the carpet to that point.

Oh, by the way... if you read what I wrote you will see that I was not referring to replacing the carpet under the cabinets.
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

I read it and understood it. Its no big deal to leave it there and cut it away later.

I would remove the carpet. If you don't and need to replace the carpet down the road, you will have to cut the carpet then and figure out how to hide the cut where the new carpet will run against it. It shouldn't be too difficult to pull the carpet back, install the cabinets and then cut the carpet back to the cabinets. I think later, you will be glad you did.
Mike O.

If you leave the carpet, you have to cope (pun intended) with the tack strip up against the wall. Or you can simple put an extra 1/4" shim under the forward edge of the kick to compensate.
As I do not have the tools for kicking carpet and making clean butt joins, I leave it. When new carpet is required, it will be installed by a professional who will cut the old carpet, install tack strips and tuck the carpet properly against the kick, making a smooth edge. S/he will have all the proper tools.
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 06:13:07 -0500, George wrote:

I've had a bit of success removing carpet for built-ins, but I don't have a kick tool. With new tack strip, a utility knife, and a hammer and blunt cold chisel I was able to hook the carpet to the strip and fold it under at the edges. When cut to the proper length it seemed to stretch back out and fold under with no problem. I'd love to have a kick tool, but for the two built-ins I've done in the last 10 years it ain't worth it. YMMV but I'd say remove the carpet.
D. G. Adams
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:14:16 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

Before you do your next carpeting-trimming job, see HF for one. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberA838 It's often on sale for under $20 and is adjustable for carpet depth.
------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------ http://diversify.com REAL websites

If you pull the carpet out, it's a lot easier to shim and level the cabinets during installation.
The job will probably come out nicer if you level and plumb the cabinets properly with shims and supports, and ten screw them to the walls, rather than forcing them close and screwing them to the wall.
Barry

Since this is a built-in, remove the carpet and wrap the base molding around your new cabinets. The downside is that the cabinets will go with the house when you sell it.
you can ahave it all!
-
someone also just posted in the message about dremel how they use a cutting wheel disk to make a groove in the top of bolts when installing these in cabinets. my 2, the fiberglass disks are worth $, time, and aggravation
-
pick a low grade number bolt, if not using washer/dryer feet, which can be tapered
-
if u can get under, just use a wrench, put another locking nut tight up underneath. Could install a "kickplate", like for your feet in kitchens, baseboard, wahatever, drill for bolt, counterbore (forstner, brad, spade, OR regular for nut, hammer in from bottom up. Don't matter. I used select pine 2x4, which is straight! could block them in
-

Is this bolt to help you remove the carpet?
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 04:28:48 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Eric

Remove the carpet, mark the floor, and put down new tack strip before installing the cabinets, Eric.
I've seen places where wet carpeting rotted and got moldy under cabinets like that before, and it's not pretty.
It's much easier to replace the carpeting later, too.
- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me: "Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed." - http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
This is the best reason of all. The carpet under the cabinet can wick moisture from other places and mold even if the rest of the carpet looks dry.