Remote controls: Do you guys know about X10?

I've read some messages about controlling dust collectors, vacuums and air filtrations units remotely and letting that feature guide decisions for purchase. You can cheaply and easily automate these items with a RF remote control by using X10 stuff.

You'd need a control module like this for each device you want to control:

a receiving RF Base and remote like this:
you can use this controller which is great:
even make 220V 20 amp modules:

Subw00er

They are also compatible with Home Link. I we come home late and the X-10 timers shut the lights out, I can push a button in the car and turn on a couple of them.

Handy in the house as well as the shop. For security, I like to be able to turn on a couple of outside lights by pushing a button while still in bed. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Didn't X10 file for bankruptcy?

Reply to
mrdancer

Could be. The products have been around for about 20 years and originally I saw it from BSR. It is also sold by Radio Shack, GE, DAK. It all comes from the same factory over the Pacific someplace. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

lmao!

Reply to
Myxylplyk

they are on the wimpy side. they are made cheeply. so you get what you pay for.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Here, I found it. Not sure if it's the same X10 company (pretty coincidental if there are two X10 companies that deal in wireless electronics!).

X10 files for Chapter 11

mrdancer

X10 files for Chapter 11

mrdancer

And they are subject to false tripping and not responding at all at times. I generally avoid them, but it's a neat idea.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

A company with X10 in their name has filed for Chapter 11 protection.

However "X10" as is used wrt remote control is a protocol/technology that has been around for about 20 years.

See:

google search on "x10 remote control" produces over 93000 hits.

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

I agree that the quality may not be up to par with the likes of Leviton et al but the price disparity more than makes up for this IMHO. A Leviton wall switch is typically around $40. I subscribe to X10's email newsletter and watch for their sales. Last month I scored with their "buy 2 get 4 free" offer and paid less than $5 ea for their wall switches. They periodically run specials like this on other stuff too and these are not always obvious on the website, you have to really dig. The newsletter makes it relatively painless although you still have to put up with the shit storm of pop up/under/over/thru ads.

I have X10 all over the house and shop and only 3 modules have burned out in the last 6 years. The appliance module on my DC (1hp) has been going for 3 years with no problems. And, no, I don't use X10 on any power tools.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Yeah! You are correct sir!

I'm still lmao! Maybe TCP/IP will go backrupt too! ;)

Myx

Reply to
Myxylplyk

OIC, thanks. A year or so ago, I'd heard that the X10 camera folks were planning on implementing their wireless technology to other products besides cameras, hence my misunderstanding of the OP's thoughts.

As sleazy as that company was (what with popup ads, and all....), it's no surprise that they would try to ride the coattails of a technology protocol with their naming convention.

Reply to
mrdancer

Outside lights don't increase security. If the purpose is to notice someone lurking on your property, think about what would stand out more: a man walking around in a well lit area, or a man walking around in a dark area with a flashlight.

Another way to think about it: if you come home and it's dark, you turn on lights so it's easier to get in -- and you have a key. Imagine trying to get into your home in the dark without a key vs. trying to get in with lights on without a key.

If you think your neighbors might see someone lurking for you, just think how much time you spend watching your neighbors' homes through your window. Again, a flashlight would stand out more anyway, just in case someone happened to be watching your property.

On top of all this, you'll save energy costs, and contribute to a darker sky so our kids will have half a chance of seeing a constellation in the night sky sometime.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Motion sensor lights.

Stay off until someone enters their field of view. Works in the situation where you come home and the driveway, then front door lights come on allowing you to find your way to the door; and in case someone is lurking in your back yard and is quite surprised when on comes the (e.g.) patio spot light. I find this arrangement quite handy.

Renata

smart, not dumb for email

Reply to
Renata

Around here (AZ), on bright moonlit nights, a person could get around without any other lighting.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

What would stand out even less: Someone walking around outside your property, in the dark, WITHOUT a flashlight. In most places, it's never totally dark, and your eyes adjust to be able to see fairly well in the dark. I'd say the image of a burglar at the window with a flashlight (and black stock hat, of course) is more television fiction than reality.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Burglers carrying flashlights? You watch too many movies. There is enough ambient light where I am to find a window or a door. My security lights are not mounted on the house, they are aimed AT the house. I'd turn on the light from inside to deter them or scare them away. I don't really want to go out and meet a potential burgler. They make it nice to greet visitors though. The motion detector will get you before you reach my door.

My lights are not on all the time. They are used when beneficial, not as 24 hour security. Some areas are covered by motion detectors, others by floodlights turned on as needed. That is the benefit of the X-10 system. Use the lights as needed.

I can get into most any house with no key in only a few seconds. They is how burgars work, They don't care about scratching the paint or nicking a door jamb.

We do look out for each other. If I hear noises in the back yard, I turn a light on. It may be coming from my neighbor. Think about this. If someone is tring to break into his house (or mine) it may scare them off. If it is just Dave putting the trash out, the extra light may make it easier for him. As I sit at my computer, I can readily see Mark's house acvross the street and if things were suspicious, I'd make a call. I actually do glance up at it often.

Wow, that 60 second blast of light is going to keep me from a happy retirement. Let's see, at 11¢ a kW, three 100 watt bulbs at 1 minute per week well.... I don't think my banker will notice nor will the star gazers. I do agree though, that as a nation we have too many lights that do nothing and pollute the sky. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski