Remodeling with hardwood. What to do about baseboards?

Hello I've been reading posts about hardwood vs engineered hardwood and I'm now convinced that hardwood is better for my household because there are no chemicals to outgas for years to come. Thanks to all who have weighed in on this issue, it helped immensely.

I haven't seen any posts that deal with the issue of what to do with existing baseboard and mouldings.

I will be removing an old parquet floor (Bruce was the mfr, I believe)that I installed as DIY 15 years ago. It was my 1st time and there are areas where I laid down too much glue so there are a few humps that would create a problem with a new floor so it must come up. there will not be enough clearance for a new 3/4" floor to slide under the baseboard and door mouldings.

So what do I do? Must I remove all the mouldings and then re-install after the new floor is laid?

Thanks for any advice. Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

A'yup.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Door moldings can be cut off using a scrap piece of the new floor material and a flush trim saw. Just lay the saw on top of the scrap on the floor, and saw through the molding.

If you don't have base shoe on your existing baseboard, and if the profile allows for the installation of base shoe, you could leave the baseboard in place and add the shoe after the floor. Otherwise, pull off the baseboard carefully and reuse it.

David

remove the key to email me.

Reply to
J Pagona aka Y.B.