Reliant Dovetail jig quest.

Hi I recieved this from my fathers basement and am very new to woodworking. Heres my problem, The jig has a plastic fingerlike guide for the router which looks like a giant comb. The fingers on it are 1/2 inch as well as the spaces in between. When I route I need a collar on my router for the bit to ride along this finger jig. So what happens is the female cut come out fine with 1/2 inch dovetails but the male ends come out larger because the collar thickness. Am I doing somthing wrong or do i have to adjust for a second cut everytime which comes out sloppy

ps Im using a 1/2 inch doetail bit

Mick

Reply to
Mick

I think this jig uses a 7/16" guide bushing, and cuts both the pins and tails at he same time. You get the proper fit by raising or lowering the bit.

-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

woodworking.

Reply to
Bill Rittner

Ive raised the bit to the point where any more it will either start hitting the guide collar or the jig itself. With any collar bushing on , it shims it out the thickness of the collar thus the "tails" are bigger than they should be. I will try tinkering more with it Thanks

woodworking.

Reply to
Mick

The instructions give you the size collar to use. Also, I believe that you lower the bit to tighten the joint. Study the instuctions. they are poor, but will put you on the right track. My first dt jig was from WWWarehouse. It is most likely the same as yours. Someone said that there are good instructions for this jig on the Woodhaven web site.