Relationship of Amazon and Tool Crib?

I understand Amazon bought Tool Crib a while ago, but what is their relationship now? They seem to have the same base prices, but different specials, and different coupons. As far as I can tell, you can only order TC over the phone, and only order Amazon On-Line. Is that right, or am I missing something.

Reply to
Toller

I always buy from them by mailing my order to them.

Reply to
Ace

Amazon bought the company known as the Tool Crib in October of 1998. They own it completely. There is no relationship. They continue to use the Tool Crib name in their advertising because it is recognized in the industry.

To go back a bit further, Acme Electric "Tool Crib of the North" was started in 1948. In 1998 before the Amazon buyout, they had 5 retail stores in North Dakota and Minnesota. They also had a mail-order division that everyone in the country knew as Tool Crib. Amazon bought the mail order division only. The 5 retail stores are still owned by the same family.

I hope this clarifies things a bit for you.

And, yes, I know all these facts first hand because I work there.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Can we get a special "Wreck" discount for mentioning your name? ;-)

Reply to
Michael Ryan

I work at one of the retail stores. Unfortunately one of the terms of the buyout was that the retail stores cannot ship outside of the agreed upon territory. So if you don't live in the upper midwest, I couldn't help you. Which really sucks because I usually sell stuff to my buddies at cost. hehehehe

Rick

Reply to
Rick