Reid Smith

Has anyone seen a post by Reid Smith of Huntsville, Ala? Maybe you have exchanged email with him. I would like to contact him but can't find a connection anywhere with infinite google searches. He had a top tip in Wood Magazine from 2009 for a router attachment to catch all the mess (or a lot of it anyway) when routing dovetails using a dovetail jig. I want to make this attachment but have a question for him. Maybe one of you have made this and I could ask you.
Yes, I sent an email to the magazine. I also tried the White Pages application on my iPhone and did find a possible hit. I hate to call someone who does not know me without first trying an email contact. With caller id is is too easy to ignore a call. When I tried google with the name in quotes so I didn't get every Reid and every Smith I got one hit - that was the article in Wood Magazine. If I can't find an email in the next couple of days I will try a call. Nothing to lose at that point.
On 1/8/2014 8:27 AM, Dick Snyder wrote: ...

Ask them to pass on the question to the author and include your contact info if he's interested in following up. Don't just ask them for his contact info--highly unlikely they'll give that up.

On 1/8/2014 8:56 AM, dpb wrote:

Or, probably more quicker, describe the project and the problem here and you'll undoubtedly get suggestions...even better if there's a link to or some way to provide real details on the project more than simply a verbal description unless that can be made very precise.

In my reply to Sonny, I posted the link to what I want to make. My question was how did he attach his Shop Vac hose to the device but now I know after seeing a clear picture that Reid had posted on a website.
Here is the link to the thing I want to make: http://tips.woodmagazine.com/safety-dust-collection/do-away-with-dovetail-dust/

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:21:52 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

Did your online search include Pinterest?
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:21:52 PM UTC-6, Dick Snyder wrote:

xchanged email with him. I would like to contact him but can't find a conne ction anywhere with infinite google searches. He had a top tip in Wood Maga zine from 2009 for a router attachment to catch all the mess (or a lot of i t anyway) when routing dovetails using a dovetail jig. I want to make this attachment but have a question for him. Maybe one of you have made this and I could ask you.
I Googled "Reid Smith Dust Collection", which led me to the below leads:
Here's a pic of Smitty, should Facebook have his pic on his site: http://ww w.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t87
This may be the same Smitty who participated on the AOL boards, long ago... . very knowledgeable, if so.
If you Google Smitty49, you'll get lots of hits, one on Twitter.
Sonny
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:43:26 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

yone seen a post by Reid Smith of Huntsville, Ala? Maybe you have exchanged email with him. I would like to contact him but can't find a connection an ywhere with infinite google searches. He had a top tip in Wood Magazine fro m 2009 for a router attachment to catch all the mess (or a lot of it anyway ) when routing dovetails using a dovetail jig. I want to make this attachme nt but have a question for him. Maybe one of you have made this and I could ask you. I Googled "Reid Smith Dust Collection", which led me to the below leads: Here's a pic of Smitty, should Facebook have his pic on his site: h ttp://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t87 This may be the s ame Smitty who participated on the AOL boards, long ago.... very knowledgea ble, if so. If you Google Smitty49, you'll get lots of hits, one on Twitter . Sonny
Additionally: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Smitty49/library/#/user/Smit ty49/library/?sort=3&page=1&_suid8919615972009782744729489434
Sonny
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:43:26 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

Additionally: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Smitty49/library/#/user/Smitty49/library/?sort=3&page=1&_suid 8919615972009782744729489434
Sonny
Got what I was looking for!! I could never find an email address for him but when I tried the link to www.ncwoodworker.net above in your reply I saw a post by him of the exact thing I want to make (the router attachment to catch mess from doing blind dovetails). His article in Wood Magazine talked about how he constructed this device. I could not figure out how he connected his Shop Vac to the device. On the website you told me about was a clear picture of how he did it (a jam fit) so I don't need to contact him now. I will go in a slightly different direction but my question is fully answered. Thanks very much Sonny,
BTW, here is a link to what he did that I am trying to copy: http://tips.woodmagazine.com/safety-dust-collection/do-away-with-dovetail-dust/
Dick
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:43:01 AM UTC-6, Dick Snyder wrote:

You're welcome.
Reid may have an AOL address - Smitty49 at aol dot com, if he is the same Smitty who participated on those boards, back then. Give it a try, see if it works, and thank him, also.
Sonny

I tried that email address yesterday Sonny but the email bounced back to me - no such address. My last chance to contact him will be Wood Magazine
Dick
On Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:58:20 PM UTC-6, Dick Snyder wrote:

Or post a comment on his Photobucket site. That might get a quicker response.
Sonny

Not sure how to do that. Do I need to make an account on photobucket?
Dick
On Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:39:06 PM UTC-6, Dick Snyder wrote:

Probably so.
Another option is to take a chance with other email addresses: Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.
Sonny

Well, the Hotmail and Yahoo bounced but not the gmail so far. Maybe I will get lucky..........
I'll let you know.
Dick
On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 11:03:19 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

G mail sometimes send an email to what it thinks is the apropos address, guess it is easier than bouncing an undeliverable address.
Mark

I am officially giving up on this quest. I heard back from Wood Magazine. They were able to answer the question I had intended to ask Reid Smith myself (and which I was able to answer once Sonny pointed out a website where Reid Smith had posted a picture of the device to catch wood chips from a router using a dovetail jig -- http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t 87 )
I have completed the device that Reid Smith invented (I posted a link to the design published in Wood Magazine earlier in this thread). I will do a separate posting in a week or two once I have some real experience with it. Thanks to all who tried to help me find Reid. The good news is that I was able to figure out my question regarding the attachment of the Shop Vac hose to the chip collector but the bad news is that I have no way to thank Reid Smith.
Dick Snyder
On 1/14/2014 2:41 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

From what I believe to be his web site.
http://www.firstdesignwoodworking.com/index.html
Which I got when I went to the link you posted.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t 87
And left clicked smitty49 above his picture to open a box that allowed me to go to his web page.....
We will see what happens..............
Thanks for the detective work.
Dick