Refrigeration mineral oil -- OK for what else?

I have an unopened quart of NAPA #209500 mineral oil for old car air conditioners that use Freon R-12. I can't find any information on it, but is it OK to use in air tools?
larry moe 'n curly writes:

It won't especially hurt them, but it is a little too viscous, and lacking any plating or anti-corrosion additives that are good things to have in air tool lubricant.
On 24 Jan 2005 21:59:19 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"

I would toss it ( recycle ). What does air tool oil cost? Pennies. Is it worth putting this *stuff* into your tools to save a dollar? Only you can decide. I wouldn't. I would throw it away and buy air-tool oil, which I have. A little goes a long way. A quart will last years.
Lg
Lawrence Glickman wrote:

That's more than my air tool costs.

However, that's not more than replacement air tools cost unless you're in the habit of getting things for free, in that case, sell an air tool and buy yourself some oil.

certainly won't hurt!
BBA
Unless the oil absorbs a bunch of moisture. Then it might hurt.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

R-12 MINERAL oil does not absorb moisture. POE R-12 compatible oil (aka 'Ester oil') does. So does PAG oil for R-134a systems.
Still, air-tool oils have properties (anti corrosion, surface tension, seal compatibility etc.) that R-12 mineral oil isn't optimized for. I wouldn't use it in any air tool I cared about.
It's very tasty on salad.