refinishing wood floor

My contractor recently gave me an estimate to refinish my wood floor. He stated that he would need to sand, seal and apply two coats of oil based poly. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do not know too much about flooring. Thanks in advance. Doug
only suggestion is to get 3 quotes. the basics of sand, seal and oil poly is pretty standard. In lieu of that, they could replace the oil based poly with water based and then you should have 3 coats and it better be REALLY good stuff, or it won't last.
dave
Doug wrote:

Ditto, that's the norm, and get estimates. >Doug wrote:

What is the point of using water based instead of oil based?
Bjarte

poly drying, you would not have to ask that. It stinks. Also, you have to put it on with a minimum of 24 hours between coats. With water based, you can put all 3 coats on in one day. The smell is mild, like ammonia, but not strong.
Partially true. I just redid ~1600 ft^2 and used Zar's new fast drying oil based poly (screened and recoated - I didn't take her down to wood as it's in good shape, just dull). "Fast" as in I was walking on the floor for recoating in 2 hours after the first coat (the recommended timeframe) and it was *dry*. after the final coat I waited overnight and then moved the furniture back with no problems. This was about 3 months ago. The whole process took a full day - not bad at all.
I highly recommend that Zar product to anyone doing floors - it looks great and is easy to work with (and it won a Pop Mechanics award last year to boot). The problem I have with traditional, long-setting oil based polys is that the longer the open time = the more chances for deposits like bugs etc to embed in the surface (and it also takes several days before you can inhabit as you pointed out).
BUT - you're spot on about the smell - it took about a week for the "aroma" to fade. If you can deal with that then oil based is definitely the way to go. It was a good tradeoff in my case.
My $0.02
--Henry

______________________________________________________________________________________ To reply use henry @t henrywebb d0t com
smell
--
Young Carpenter

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:01:53 GMT, "Bjarte Runderheim"

Better colour - water white, rather than yellowish oil
Less smell or solvent exposure.
OTW, I wouldn't use either. For sanding floors I only ever use Ruston's Floorcoat, an acid-catalysed formaldehyde resin. It cures hard in a couple of hours, and wears better than polyurethanes.
Do a search for alt.home.repair on floors, lots recently. Some have commented on WB drying faster without odor that oil brings.
On 24 Aug 2003 20:04:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Doug) wrote:

Doug wrote:

I suggest you re-phrase the question...what are you asking?
--
Chris Merrill