Refinishing vs Refurbishing

Hope I am not beginning to sound like a flatulent senior citizen (that's an old fart for those in Loma Linda).
I have started to do some rather small wood projects and of course, do need some basic tools to do this beyond hand held tools, hence my "Just Three" previous post - the responses there were very helpful in deciding what to get. Having said this, what is the basic difference between "refinishing and refurbishing" a piece of furniture. Case in point, I recently sanded and added new hardware to a cedar chest my daughter bought at a garage sale - came out pretty good (I'll post a few pics in a few days at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking). My next project is to repair an old secretary type desk with a roll up front that was discarded in front of a house that was being gutted for a "flip" and sale. The desk needs extensive repair and of course sanding, staining and varnishing. It may just be a matter of semantics, but the definitions in my old college dictionary did not satisfy my curiosity.
Many thanks in advance,
Ray ==
Refinishing only changes/renews the finished surface. Refurbish repairs broken pieces, loose parts, etc.

Thu, Nov 15, 2007, 5:31pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (RayS.&NaydaKatzaman) doth queryeth: <snip> what is the basic difference between "refinishing andrefurbishing" a piece of furniture. <snip>
If you're over the age of 15 you should already know the answer - depends on who's saying it, and what they meant at the time. No matter what you may be told here, you'll never know what the speaker means, until you ask the speaker.
JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel
J T wrote:

Jack, Really appreciated your response, including the philosophical bit at the end. I'm just glad you did not send me to Google for more info.
Again, thanks.
Ray ==
Fri, Nov 16, 2007, 12:20am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (RayS.&NaydaKatzaman) doth posteth: Jack, Really appreciated your response, including the philosophical bit at the end. I'm just glad you did not send me to Google for more info. Again, thanks.
Jack, Jack, who's Jack? Damn, forgot. Best check google for additional details.
JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel
On Nov 15, 11:31 am, "Ray Katzaman" wrote:

Hello Ray... Rebuilding solid wood projects from the past is satisfying, but is also the most comprehensive way for a novice to learn and appreciate wood structures and design. When possible, I knock the piece completely apart. In its component parts, it is much easier to refurbish the wood and implement any necessary repairs. Your opportunity to learn is greatly enhanced, and you get to refit and glue all the joints.