Refinishing top of Ethan Allen Cabinet

Please, I would lke advice/suggestions. My elderly neighbor who sold his house furnished gave me a EA cabinet in perfect condition except for the top. The finish need to be removed and refinished. It belonged to the series EA called Georgian Court. I have had estimates to get the cabinet refinished but I simply cannot afford to have it done.
I have done some nice refinishing in the past but never on such a good piece. I found a stain that will be very close to the existing color. Since this is such nice furniture, after staining should I use a varnish. or would mimwax wipe on poly give me a better finish? Or maybe tung oil? My only experience has been with stripping, staining and varnish, never wipe on poly or tung oil. Thank you. Lorena
The piece is probably finished with a lacquer now. Stripping the top will require some care so as not to have the stripper run down the sides. I would be inclined to use the rub-on varnish Bartley sells. It gives excellent results and will probably match the rest of the piece quite well.
Woodchip
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lorena Richardson) wrote in message

www.homesteadfining.com has several forums that you might be interested in reviewing. Jeff is an expert on finishing matters and monitors the forums.
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:37:47 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lorena Richardson) wrote: