refinishing the top of an oak buffet

I am refinishing the top of an oak buffet and have used wood filler to cover many inperfections- problem is now that the stain will not cover the wood filler and looks odd- creating darker areas etc where I put the wood filler. How can I fix the top without having to put a whole new piece of oak on it.
You might consider an oak veneer. It would be easier than redoing the top and can be stained to match. Flexwood sells a pre-backed veneer that you can peel-n-place and then sand and stain to match. It works good and does not require extra tools and glue.