Refinishing Stair Treads

They're 8/4 oak finished in water-based floor product. That cannot change, since all I want to do is sand lightly and add another coat or two. The question--is there a method that will reduce their slipperiness? Twice I've gone down them a lot faster than I had planned. So far no damage, but I'd sure like to not roll the dice once more. I won't add sand or some other grit, and LOML is opposed toe using any stick-on edge strips. Any other ideas?
--
Bob Schmall
Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious.

I've
You can try a "non-skid" floor wax or a product like: http://ndclean.com/skidsafe.html
A buddy of mine rented a home with hardwood floors and stairs. One of his roommates used Pledge after sweeping - you needed to wear a crash helmet when visiting:)

(snip) You can add fine sand to the final coat to add some grip. Try it on a small sample to see if you're happy with the "look".
Jimbo

go to your local janitorial supply house and ask for one of the non-slip non-skid cross linked acryllic finishes.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the products yourecommended.
Bob

I've