Refinishing Speakers

I have a pair of speakers with real wood veneers finished with Watco Oil. There was a mark on one of my speakers that I tried to clean off, but unfortunately rubbed some of the stain off in a small area. This area now looks lighter as compared to the rest of the speaker.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Reply to
DMKinPA

I'm not the finishing expert, but it sounds like you used some sort of solvent that may have killed the oil (degreaser type of solvent). If so, wouldn't applying more Watco oil to the affected area restore the color? If the speakers are finished with Watco oil, then I would imagine that they are not actually "stained" since the oil usually has the color within it. The color should come from the oil, I think. I would lightly dampen a cloth with a littlebit of the Watco oil and slowly work the area to restore the color. If you use a small amount of oil and start in the center of the spot, you should be able to blend the color in with the surrounding wood.

But again, I am not that savvy with finishes, so get a second opinion. =-)

X_HOBBES

Reply to
X_HOBBES

You can use artist colors blended with your Watco to gain a closer match.

Reply to
George

On 30 Apr 2005 19:45:52 -0700, the inscrutable "DMKinPA" spake:

Rub some mineral oil (or walnut or lemon oil) on the spot and surrounding area. If that fixes it for a day or two, and you have some of the original Watco left over, clean the whole speaker with alcohol or naphtha, then soap and water (carefully, of course). Let it (or both speakers for best match) dry thoroughly and rub on some more Watco per the instructions. You might be able to get by with a bit of Watco just on the rubbed portion, but only you can judge that. If not, do the whole speaker or both of them, depending on your tastes.

She may seem a little flighty, || Full Service Websites but she wears a green gauze nighty, || PHP Applications And she's good enough for me." || SQL Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques