refinishing rubberwood -- how hard is it?

Hi,
I'd like to buy some chairs made out of rubberwood from Crate & Barrel ($50 on sale) and refinish them because I don't like the colors they offer. How hard would it be to strip off the clear lacquer finish? I think I'd like to stain it natural or paint it white. Would this be too hard for a woodworking novice?
The chair: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q32326DBC
Thanks.
-john (remove the pachyderm)

No, it would not be too hard for a novice. A novice may not however think the same. It will be work.
I would pass all together on stripping down to bare wood and leaving a natural finish.