refinishing rubberwood -- how hard is it?

Hi,

I'd like to buy some chairs made out of rubberwood from Crate & Barrel ($50 on sale) and refinish them because I don't like the colors they offer. How hard would it be to strip off the clear lacquer finish? I think I'd like to stain it natural or paint it white. Would this be too hard for a woodworking novice?

The chair:

(remove the pachyderm)

Reply to
john

the same. It will be work.

I would pass all together on stripping down to bare wood and leaving a natural finish.

Reply to
Leon