Refinishing knotty pine paneling

SWMBO is doing the painting as we continue to restore our house after Hurricane Ivan. She has the following questions.
The breakfast room is paneled with knotty pine that has been painted long before we bought the house, probably to lighten up the room. When the crown molding was removed, the paint tore in strips down the paneling. How best to sand this smooth so the edges of the tears don't show through the new paint?
How best to remove old latex paint from the crown molding and the door and window trim without damaging the detail?
We've been living in a FEMA trailer in the driveway since December, at a son's house before that. Five months after the storm, the contractor hadn't finished the estimate. I fired him and started hiring subs. The electrician and plumber still have work to finish, and the drywall guy may start this week. I was lucky to find a plumber who would even talk to me.
My shop had five feet of salt water in it, and it was two weeks before I could get to the tools. The Jet cabinet saw was just a glob of rust under the bright orange table. The new Unisaw looks much better.
I look at the vacant lots in this neighborhood where houses used to be, and see pictures from Katrina's damage west of us, and I know how lucky we are.
Lionel Pensacola, FL

My first thought is a belt sander. However, they are heavy and aggressive. Perhaps a pad sander such as the Dewalt or PC would be better. You will need to sand in at least two passes working from very coarse to quite fine.

Carefully and cautiously applied paint stripper (you sometimes see people applying these products on "This Old House"). If you take it down, you will surely damage the molding.

Yes, you certainly are. There are about 4000 people from New Orleans here in Tarrant County, Tx, who arrived with nothing more than the clothes on their backs... Jim

Thanks for the sanding info. We had to take down the crown molding to put in the new ceiling, and the door and window trim had to come off so we could take off the plaster and paneling and make access for the electrician to totally replace the circa 1940 wiring. I think I got it off with very little damage, not too much to repair.
Lionel
Maybe ask at www.refinishwizard.com forum also, some good schtuff there.

Thanks. That should be a lot of help.
Lionel