Refinishing Cabinets

Would this be an appropriate place to ask about removing stain from a bathroon cabinet?

I have chemically stripped a cabinet, but most of the stain remains. Can anyone recommend how to remove the stain without sanding away the veneer?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hi Bob, If the stain was of the dye variety, it likely went into the veneer and you are pretty much out of luck. Sometimes wiping with a solvent like alcohol or lacquer thinner will lighten the stain. JG

Reply to
JGS

Somtimes, only sometimes, you can pull more stain off the door by mixing your stripper (not the water based stuff, the skull and crossbones atomic danger stuff) and mix in either lacquer thinner or alcohol, cutting your stripper by about 50%. Leave this on the piece for about 5 minutes, working in small sections. Don't leave it on too long as you can raise the veneer if it has already been stripped once.

When I have a door and trim I am refinishing, they are usually stained with pigmented stuff so depending on what the solvent was for the original stain one of those mixtures will work pretty well when used with a vigorous scrubbing with a terry cloth rag.

But they are really removing more of the colored resin left behind by the sealer your stripper left behind rather than the stain. You are just getting the surface extra clean now. Try both mixtures on a hidden spot. As JGS said, if it was dyed (if is is a piece from a factory, I doubt it) you are screwed.

You may just need to put some kind ot toner on it to even it out and let it go.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41