Refinishing a chopping block counter-top?

I have a wooden counter top (30" x30') that I want to refinish. I'd like to to sand the stains and nicks out,and apply a durable finish. It won't be used for preparing food,but will be subjected to some harsh treatment fom pots and pans,and loading/unloading dish washer. What finish can you suggest? Thanks

Plastic resin. Polyester, urethane come immediately to mind. Keep hot pads handy.

I redid a 24X60 maple butcher block counter top... Used a Stanley No 60 Cabinet Scraper to remove all the knife marks and old finish. Sanding was way too slow due to the amount of material to be removed and I found that the paper would gum up with old finish and mineral oil soaked wood. I didn't bother to sand the surface after the scraper as it was reoiled with mineral oil and put right back into service as a cutting board--the scraper left a good surface.
RE refinishing. An oil based polyurethane that gives good build if it isn't going to be used as a cutting board. Otherwise mineral oil.
John
More than wood deserves, really. I keep a 12X12 piece of floor tile on mine. If you expect to move the tile around a lot, it would be nice to glue some felt on the bottom. All the dish use is fine, but we use largely iron pans and they are pretty rough. Of course nothing will stand heat! The tile takes it all. I'll even set a pan on it briefly if I let the pan get too hot. I use floor poly. Wilson

I did a counter top with a sink out of maple block, I used many coats of marine poly, it held up great. I have since moved so can't speek for it now. The marine grade poly is expensive but is designed for wet areas.