Refiishing a Bernhardt Table

My wife left an oil candle on our cherished Berhardt dining table. Then someone (one of the kids, her, the wind, who knows) turned the candle over and some of the oil leaked out and stayed on the table for weeks before we noticed. It removed all the finish and now there's a 5 inch diameter spot of almost bare wood.
In short, the finish is ruined where the oil pooled.
I e-mailed Berhardt for a suggestion on what to do. I suspect they thought I was a competitor looking for their "secret" finishing formula -- let's just say I got no response.
So what should I do? Remove the finish on the whole table and start over or is there something simplier I can do.
The wood is cherry (I'm pretty sure). The finish looks like some kind of lacquer but I'm not sure.