Refacing Kitchen Cabinets

Hey folks,

I built some new cabinet doors for a buddy of mine (pine) and want to re-face the existing cabinets to the same wood species.. Currently the cabinets are painted white. Do I need to remove the old paint before gluing on veneered ply ?? Or will white glue bond OK? Would contact cement be better??

Suggestion??

Thanks in advanced,

Pierre in Ottawa

Reply to
Pierre Boucher

Remove the old paint. I just bought a bottle of cheap glue, and the label says the surfaces to be joined must be paint-free. Have fun. Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein (formerly KB8QLR)

Remove the paint--as a general rule glues come in two kinds--the kind that won't stick to paint and the kind that dissolves paint. Also, if the glue does stick to the paint then the first time you get any load on it the paint comes off-most paint makes damned poor glue. There are exceptions but I suspect you're not going to encounter any of them in what you're doing.

Reply to
J. Clarke