Redwood or Cedar?

I'm having some custom garage doors built and I can have my choice of redwood or cedar for the same price. I haven't seen samples of the redwood, but I've seen the cedar -- typical western red cedar with some tight knots. (I'm guessing the redwood will be straighter with fewer knots.)
Which has better decay resistance? I've been assuming redwood, but I figured I'd ask you folks (who presumably have more experience with this sort of thing :-)
Darin
I took down a two car redwood garage door several years back when i convereted my garage into the shop. The door was built in 1960 and had no signs of weather damage. I salvaged the hardware off the door, and the wood was still in very good shape/ daviswoodshop

knots.)
Probably not too much difference in rot resistance, but the Western cedar will weather (turn silver) very quickly unless it's painted with CWF or something like it.

knots.)
I guess I forgot to mention that the doors will be painted, not stained...
rj wrote:

Darin wrote:

You realize, of course, that painting redwood is a hangin' offense. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
dave in fairfax wrote:

Darin writes:

I built a redwood deck back around '88, in central VA. First, it got moldy. Now, I have to go through and replace about half the floorboards, where the damned hot dipped galvanized screws rusted enough to rot the ends of the redwood boards. This time around, it will be ipe or PT SYP. Considering my likely financial state after moving, it will be PT.
Charlie Self "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers
Darin wrote:

Glad to hear it, the first part that is. My Old Man and I designed a two story ranch with multiple fireplaces when I lived in MI, had it built out of Redwood and granite, then he painted it BLUE. Still haven't forgiven him.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: