Redwood boards

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas wood stash.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:25:13 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Howzbout a "personal" deck?
-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner
On Monday, November 12, 2012 8:25:14 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Always god for any outdoor item. Small garden bench, potting stand, bird houses. You see the clear heart used in wine cellars.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:37:02 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

I'd make a small bench or an outdoor table.
On 11/12/2012 10:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Use them for shelves until you determine what you would really like to use them for.
On Monday, November 12, 2012 10:25:14 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That might be about enough to build a Adirondack chair. I built a couple of them from Redwood this summer and finished them in natural color. Beautiful wood.
There are lots of plans on the web but I used a Norm Abram plan that was in Popular Mechanics a few years back.
RonB

them from Redwood this summer and finished them in natural color. Beautiful wood.

Ala-Kazaaaam!!
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/articleindex/norm-abrams-adirondack-chair
"Roy" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- SFWIW:
Plans for that chair can be purchased directly from NYW for $10.95.
Includes plans for a foot stool.
Lew
On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:07:52 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I have a PDF of the plan, which I believe is the magazine article. A friend sent it to me and said he got it from the internet, but I was unable to locate it the other day.
RonB

Cut out animal (or other) figures, sand, drill hole, put in leather or other strip to hang with and give away for christmas as aromatic closet hangers for keeping moths and other pests out.
Small keepsake boxes for special items for christmas.
I'm certain there are plenty of things to do with cedar, it just depends on if you want it for yourself or other(s).
On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:49:24 AM UTC-6, Casper wrote:

Oppsie! Though (aromatic) cedar is a reddish wood, it is not Redwood. But redwood would make for some nice figurines, also.
Child's bench and the scraps into figurines or other small decor. Lots of things. Indoor planter (bucket, or matching buckets)- http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/5323301973/in/photostream Sonny

Damn. That's what happens when I read and post before I have coffee. What was I thinkiking?!?! You got the idea anyway. Oh well. ;)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:25:13 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If the boards were Grandpa's, are they old? Like, are they WAY old? Like from old-growth trees, with tight, vertical grain? FLatsawn, quater-sawn, or rift-sawn? Or just fence boards?
I've built many a redwood box. Great wood.
Tell us if they're "fine" or just boards.
-Zz
They do have a tight grain pattern, but I thought that was typical of redwood grain. They are old he hadn't done any woodworking for over 15 years and this was just some of the wood from his stockpile.
Any tips for finishing redwood? I think I am going to make some type of box.
Thanks for all the response
Hi everyone
today am newbie here and i want to say that Redwood is supposed to be weather resistant so finish might not be needed. The area I am planning to build the bench is is a desert environment so rain isn't a major problem.
--
Anderson0

Anderson0 wrote:

Ultraviolet is.
--

dadiOH
On 11/12/2012 10:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I salvaged several redwood boards from our old deck when we tore it down. Most only had about 2-3 feet of usable length. I built some semi-circle corner shelves for our bathroom, a couple of crafty projects, and a small bookshelf for my wife. See "Peggy's Music Book Shelf" near the bottom of this page:
http://www.mountain-software.com/projects/misc-projects.htm
Anthony Watson Home Cookin Recipe Software www.homecookinsoftware.com
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:57:24 AM UTC-6, HerHusband wrote:

Very nice projects, all of them. ^5
Sonny
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:57:24 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Works for me.