Redwood blocks

Hi, everybody.
I have recently made my nephew some blocks out of some spare planks I had around the house, which are redwood (hey, they were free). What I would like to know is, does anyone know of any poison precautions or sensitivities people may have regarding this wood? He is 2 years old, and I'm sure will be putting them in his mouth.
Thanks,
-Barry
On 27 Dec 2004 03:09:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BKeane71) wrote:

redwood's not too bad.
think about it- any wood that can resist bugs and rot must be toxic to some degree.
It does seem to me that whatever it is in the redwood that resists bugs and rot tastes bad enough that a human would have to be pretty determined to get a toxic dose... based on lots of working with it and breathing redwood sawdust.
BKeane71 wrote:

I work with redwood a fair amount as does my neighbor (a builder of decks among other things) and neither of us has had any ill effects. I would suggest finishing with perhaps a penetrating oil (thinned tung or blo) and several coats of a varnish (e.g.poly). Those splinters can be buggers. They tend to break off when you try to get them out and it takes forever for the body to rid itself of them. I have built a few toys and finished them with blo/poly with no problems from the little ones. YMMV of course.     mahalo,     jo4hn
On 27 Dec 2004 03:09:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BKeane71) wrote:

not sure about eating or inhalig/skin contact, as most picnic tables are redwood... one caution would be for a lot of sanding and corner rounding... ever notice how fast a redwood splinter swells up and hurts?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Mon, Dec 27, 2004, 3:09am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BKeane71) exclaims: Hi, everybody. I have recently made my nephew some blocks out of some spare planks I had around the house, which are redwood (hey, they were free). What I would like to know is, does anyone know of any poison precautions or sensitivities people may have regarding this wood? He is 2 years old, and I'm sure will be putting them in his mouth.
Might have been prudent to ask before you made them. Non-treated I would hope.
A short google would have came up with. http://www.wood-line.de/F/F02010101.htm
Other informtion, redwood is a sensitizer, supposedly toxic to rabbits also reptiles (no loss there). Personally, I think I'd pick some other wood to give a kid that's likely to chew on 'em - just in case.
JOAT Diplomacy is the act of saying, "Nice Doggie" till you can find a big rock to bash in his skull. - Unknown
Look here...http://www.city-net.com/albertfp/toxic.htm...especially the fourth paragraph.
(BKeane71) exclaims:

Thanks for all the info, everybody. I appreciate it. Sounds as though it is possible that redwood could be an irritant more than anything, for which you need an already existing predisposition, anyway. Interesting, though... it also lists maple under the same list, and I know that lots of cribs are made of that, as it doesn't have large pores like oak. Hmmm.
Anyway, thanks again.
-Barry