Redwood Alternative

I have an outdoor project where the plan calls for 2"x8"x8' Redwood. The final project will be painted.
My local lumber yard only had 1"x6" Redwood and I will try another place this weekend.
If they don't have the Redwood, what should be my next alternative?
Thanks, Dave

Kinda hard to answer that without knowing what the project is... Other readily available, naturally rot-resistant woods are cedar and cypress. Treated pine also is rot-resistant, although prone to warp. Of course, if you're painting it, you don't really need rot resistance, unless part of it is going in the ground. What are you building?
--
Regards,

Depends on what the project is. In most cases I personally would use pressure treated lumber. Others seem to think that this stuff is a plague from the devil. Other options include cypress, locust, western red ceder etc. all of which are rot resistant, which I assume is the reason for the redwood for something being painted.

It is just a mailbox post project. The main construction will be 3/4" and 1/2" MDO that will be mounted on a PT 4x4 into the ground.
The Redwood is to be used for a curving brace between the vertical post and the mailbox. It will also be used for the cap, a turned finial, some mouldings, and some edge banding on the exposed plywood.

If it's going to be painted anyway, why not just use poplar?
--
Regards,
On Apr 5, 12:38 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I do have Poplar on hand, so that is an option. Looking online, I have not found good things about Poplar when used for an exterior application.

In the Midwest, it used to be widely used for exterior trim, back when they were building houses out of real wood. As long as it's kept painted, it does pretty well.
--
Regards,

Since none of the items mentioned are going to touch the ground or tend to stay wet, the rot resistance is less important so I would give serious consideration to standard 1x6 construction lumber (pine) or at best standard 1x6 western red cedar. I certainly would not go for anything higher level than that. The pine can be had anywhere. Western red may require an actual lumber store instead of HD or Lowes.
Dave Hall
Dave wrote:
> It is just a mailbox post project. The main construction will be 3/4" > and 1/2" MDO that will be mounted on a PT 4x4 into the ground. > > The Redwood is to be used for a curving brace between the vertical > post and the mailbox. It will also be used for the cap, a turned > finial, some mouldings, and some edge banding on the exposed plywood.
Sounds almost like the NYW project Norm did a few years ago.
If you truly want redwood, use a couple of 1x6 pieces half lapped together and glued with epoxy for the widest items.
Lew

I did see that show back then and this is the idea that I am working from.

How about Cedar. For many many years Cedar was used for exterior trim on new homes.
"Leon" wrote in message

You're right ... and it still is. I used Western red cedar a few days ago to trim out a garage door opening on a new home. Takes paint much nicer than PT stuff (which in 1x "trim" these days looks more like pretzels than wood most of the time), and will last longer, IME.
... or you can stain it to mimic a few different woods.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07