Redwood

My father built a solid round redwood picknictable 35 years ago.I have sanded it a half a dozen times,along with the 5 benches that go around it.My problem is what clear finish to put on it.We have tried many things,but the summer sun makes them yellow and peal.The first sealer was a varathan product that worked very well for the first 20 years{it is hung in the garage over the winter}but like all paint type products,none are as good as they used to be.Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Saxman

How about putting nothing on it? This is the easiest, cheapest and redwood really doesn't need anything on it as a protectant. If you must use something take a look at the various penetrating oils on the market intended for decks. They come in clear and redwood colors. Reapplication requires no sanding in subsequent years. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Like all type paint products none are as good as they used to be. Hummmmm..

You mention a clear varnish that does not hold up as well as the paint product that held up for 20 years. Paints hold up much better than clear varnishes when exposed to sun light. Paints hold up better because they are opaque and do not let sun light totally penetrate the finish.

Your best varnish is probably going to be a Spar varnish, but be prepared to refinish ever few years.

Reply to
Leon

I'd skip the clear and go for Olympic Maximum Cedar Tint outdoor oil finish.

It'll protect the color, never peel, and it's ridiculously easy to apply.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

;~) How long is your experience with the product? I have been wanting to stain/tint my deck that is PT with 24 years of sun exposure. Still very sound but rough looking but IMHO rough looking is better than pealing paint. The Olympic product sounds interesting.

Reply to
Leon

Was it very loud when it pealed?

Varnish type finishes will peel after while. Use something like Penofin oil every couple of years. Has UV protectors to help keep the natural color too.

Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Personally, about 8 or 9 years.

The key is to apply one coat, as the label says, and reapply every 2-3 years. If more than one coat is applied, what isn't absorbed can get sticky. More is not better. The clear version does not have the same UV protection as the cedar tinted formula.

The guy who turned me on to it is local to me:

All of his natural finished products are sprayed with cedar tinted Maximum. He's probably got 10,000 items out there, including sample benches and chairs for public use, all over the Main Street sidewalks of local towns. Some of his pergolas go on seriously high-end homes.

He tells all of his customers what he uses, so they can better maintain their purchases.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Thank you , I'll have to look into that and maybe try it out.

Reply to
Leon