Rediscovering the Wheel, repeatedly

Mike M wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Now that you've got the bigger shop, can you find the tool you need? Actually, the bigger problem isn't finding the tool, it's leaving it on the other side of the shop and having to go get it! *g*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:23:06 -0600, -MIKE-

I remember when I first moved into my apartment and I commented to a friend how fast I was able to fill up the available space.

His reply to me was that the problem wasn't the available space, it was the drive that most people have to fill up a space no matter how big it is.

Reply to
Dave

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:23:06 -0600, -MIKE- .

Geez, hope you don't win the lottery then. I keep reading about people winning a whole pile of money and then BAM! Two months later they're dying of cancer.

It's getting to the point that winning the lottery appears to be a quick death sentence.

Reply to
Dave

It probably is a little smaller, but I have cleverly made up for the lack of space by not crowding it with a bunch of fancy machinery; apart from the one really large piece, that is. But that one is self- propelled and is thus easy to move out to the driveway when necessary.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

What do you use the "ready area" for? Back before I was such an expert woodworker I had a piece of furniture built to hold my (keyboard) gear. It's effectively an armoire, only much deeper, and it's located within 10' of the front door. Back when we were gigging heavily, that was a real blessing.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I do, but it's not flat, as the condensation water from my car's a/c will attest. Even if it were, it would still be a couple feet lower in altitude than guys my age like to work.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

From what I have read winning the lottery has all ways been a financial death sentence.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:15:54 -0500, Keith Nuttle

I've read similar sentiments. Figure if I ever win anything big, I'd be hiring security first, then an investment accountant and probably a lawyer.

Reply to
Dave

Well be careful with that assumption. Wood glue does not stick to melamine as easily as it does to wood. but I have accidentally glued a piece of wood to my TS melamine extension table and removing the wood also removed the melamine.

Reply to
Leon

That's not hard to do, considering that fully half the population will have some type of cancer during their lifetime.

PLEASE sentence me!

-- Intuition isn't the enemy, but the ally, of reason. -- John Kord Lagemann

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sounds like a plan, but beware. Any one of these groups can result in the loss of quite a bit of what they're supposed to preserve.

The family leeches will be crawling out of their holes as well...

To bring this back to woodworking (and open a can of worms), if you did win the lottery would you buy a SawStop?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I think the order would be reversed. The lawyer to set up the financial instrument to work for you with the Lottery authority. The accountant to handle the taxes for the various municipalities with their hands out, and the security guard if there is anything left to worry about the guard.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On 07 Jan 2013 15:34:47 GMT, Puckdropper

Not unless I could have it height modified for woodworking from my wheelchair. Talked to SawStop a few years back about the height modification thing and I was told "no" because of engineering that was down near the bottom of the saw.

General did make a height modified saw, but now that they've gone bye bye with the Canadian manufacturing, it's no longer made.

However, SINCE we're talking about big lottery money, I might well end up buying myself a Martin or something similar. Program in my measurements, push a button and watch it power feed cutting to better than 1/64" tolerances.

Then I'd have my private woodworking butler team put it all together for me. :)

Reply to
Dave

Actually have a refrigerator with two corny kegs in it. I'm a home brewer who hasn't brewed in a while but now have room again. It's been easier just to run up to the local brewry and get my kegs filled.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I still have trouble finding things I just brought home. Between Xmas and 3 birthdays this month I've just been trying to get projects done so still pretty disorganized. Spent very little time in the shop for

9 months between down time on the leg, and shop construction.

Mike M

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

That's a pet peeve of mine. As soon as we clean out a kitchen cabinet and get rid of some stuff we never use, SWMBO fills it with other stuff like it exists in a vacuum. It's OK to have some space in there! The thing I hate the most is having a bunch of different sized bowls stacked inside each other, like Russian dolls. Or any other case of having to remove 7 items to get out the 1 you're using.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's my wife, sorta. You've heard the phrase, "Nature abhors a vacuum"? Well, my wife abhors an uncluttered horizontal surface :(

Some years ago I built her a nice solid hickory desk & credenza. No one has seen either top wood surface since about 5 minutes after she got them.

Reply to
dadiOH

Pay no attention to either.

Reply to
dadiOH

I have 3 drum sets and I use each for different gigs/sessions. I don't have the space to keep cases and hardware for all three, so a lot of those things get shared. The drum room is even more crowded than the shop. Each is two sides of a (previously) 2 car garage. A previous owner converted one side into a little den area (drum room).

There's very little space in the drum room to get kits ready for travel, so it generally spills out into the shop. I also have to load out drums though the shop, out its garage door to the van/car. The table saw is always in the way, since it sits near the garage door for obvious reasons. The saw has to be collapsed, turned 90degrees, and pushed into it's cubby that has other tools in it, when the saw is in use. (Remember the game Tetris?) I could go on. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Puckdropper wrote in news:50eaeb16$0$18729$c3e8da3 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

In a heartbeat.