Red stains in resawn barn beam

Hello -
I had an interesting result after resawing some beech barn beams to make some small boxes. In additions to some spalting, there were several areas that had pink to red discolorations, almost like iodine stains. Have any of you seen such a thing, and what is the cause? Would you / could you remove the stains? BTW, I also saw similar stains in some oak beams. Thanks for your responses...