Red oak vs white oak update

x-no-archive:yes
I took some of that wood I had, cut the ends off where I had about a 2 inch by 4 inch piece. I blew into the end grain. I had the other end in a cup of water with detergent. Then, lots of bubbles! Does this mean it is definitely red oak? It is weired because I posted pictures on here a while back someone said they thought it was white oak. SOmeone in person did too.
I've always just spit on it. Red oak is pink when wet, white oak is yellow.

More than likely it is Red Oak.

Ash?
If you really did blow air thru white oak, that tree was in trouble before they cut it down.

sodium nitrite would seem to be the ultimate test. Reference: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Distinguishing_White_Oak_from_Red.html ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

On 2/27/2006 8:17 AM stryped mumbled something about the following:

There you go again, asking a question then not wanting it archived. Well, here you go, it's archived now, since we know you won't answer as to why you do this.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

It's a privacy thing. T'was recommended procedure many years ago, long before Google resurrected terabytes of flamewars.