Red Oak in cutting board?

Page 2 of 2

We have used a maple board in our kitchen for 10+ years. Still good. Nobody got sick (used common sense with meat).
When/if we replace it, I think that I would use maple again.
Don't try to improve the cutting board - ain't worth it.
Lou

While open-grained red oak is not really a suitable material for a cutting board, some references to qualified information about wood and bacteria can be found on my web site - Hints & Tips - Cutting Board Hygiene.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

The end grain of red oak is like a bunch of little tubes or soda straws bundled together. In fact, yu can take s stick of straight-grained red oak, put one end in a glass of water, blow throught the other end, and actually have bubbles come out under the water. Not a good choice for a cutting board.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland