Red Oak Dust

Hi All,
I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.
I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.
Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??
Zap
zap wrote:

I'm sure _somebody_ has... :)
Personally though, no, oak (red nor white) has ever been a dermatitis problem for me. Everybody's different. I have gotten into some mill-run green oak that had had poison oak growing on it and got a heck of a case while stacking it...

Tannins and other lovelies can irritate. Especially if you're sweating. Protect yourself.
My stepfather had all kinds of problems with red oak sanding and sawdust. He got rashes and had severe breathing problems from working with it. Then he tried burning some in the fireplace and the smoke put him in the emergency room. I don't have any problem with it and am very grateful that I don't, but I have all kinds of other allergies. Some of us are more sensitive to certain things than others.
Charley

zap wrote:

Not red oak, my problem is with Red Maple (Acer rubrum). I can't sand the stuff without getting skin rash and lung inflammation. Nasty stuff to me. If you're having skin problems with red oak, I'd strongly suggest you wear a good quality dust mask, or even a respirator. I've had good luck with this model: http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid 033&modetails#tabs
--
"Hey, yutz! Guns aren't toys.
They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals,

Thank you all for your answers, It tells me that I am on the right track with what I believe happened to me after working with Red Oak fine dust. I certainly will take more precautions in the future. Washing off right after making all that dust, wearing clothing that will protect my bare skin as much as possible..
Zap
And use a shop vac attached to your sander to collect as much of the dust as possible from the sander so most of it stays off of you.
Charley
wrote:

model:http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid 033&modetails#tabs

Hi All,
I am having a rash on both arms after forming model parts by sanding Red Oak. It possibly is a reaction to the very fine dust.
I used a dust mask but didn't think about exposed skin.
Has anyone else had such a problem of a reaction to Red Oak??
Zap
--
When we refinished the floors in our last house my hubby developed an
allergy to it.

As stated by others, everybody's different. I could probably eat red oak dust without any complications. For me, black walnut is an irritant. Unfortunately, I love black walnut and I'm indifferent to red oak. And so it goes...
Jeff
When I sand Oak it causes my hands to itch and the cuticles by my nails to flake and peel.