Red Fox Pub carving.

Page 2 of 2

The Bow Saur & Flagon!
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:47:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Bwahahahahahaha! Two points, Baldy!
-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

"... but the Vessel with the Pestle has the brew that is true'
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:22:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

I thought it was the Flaggon with the Dragon. ...or was that the Challice from the Pallace?

Originally, it was the Flagon, but it got broken, and the Vessel was used to replace it.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 01:21:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

What's this about a Mortar and Pestilence?
-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Nifty. I can imagine whole hordes of paying, puking customers under that sign. ;)
Did you work up the fox from scratch, or did you start with some sort of CNC clipart? How much time did you spend computer modeling?
On 3/22/11 1:03 PM, RicodJour wrote:

all. That way he can charge 8 hours of setup and two hours of CNC time. :-) He could have done it in four hours with a sharp chisel or six.
Sorry Rob, had to do it.
--
Froz...

This is Canada.
They got the fox drunk and he held still while they digitally scanned him.. That is why the carving is so life like.
On Mar 22, 2:31pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Oh. I didn't know that. That sounds almost humane. It had crossed my mind that he might have found fox roadkill and sprayed him with some urethane for that "nugget" effect. Since the sign is probably ten feet off the ground by the front door, the smell that would eventually leak out would hasten people coming inside and hasten people leaving - both good things. ;)
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:31:07 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Egad, a Molsen and Black Velvet fox? What's this world coming to? You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

3D 'models' like the fox are readily available. Most of my output, is stuff I model myself, especially when it comes to textures and back- grounds. I steal and convert stuff all the time. A lot of the 'sculpting' is done in Photoshop as my modelling software can take 16- bit grayscale and assign Z parameters from them. White is high, black is low and 256,000 levels of height in between. So when you throw Photoshop tools like airbrushes, smudge tools etc. into the mix, gradients, brightness and contrast controls, well, you get the picture. Distortion filters can be a hoot too. But, as always, less is more. That fox was a grayscale which I manipulated. The software I use can import many different 3D files, some as meshes. The importing of Adobe PDF (vector based) files is flawless. I handle all my type in Illustrator, my objects in Vectorworks (sometimes via Strata).... I make no apologies for having way too damned much fun.

I still don't know about this stuff.
I can see it's probably fun to get a digital model and have a machine carve it for you, but I still think there is something tragic about an economy in which craft skills and artistry have been so undervalued that they have totally disappeared. A pub sign of all things could celebrate an artisan's ability. Can't anybody carve a fox any more?
Tim W

I agree with the irony, but...
I'm sure he could have found someone to do it, but then -he- wouldn't have made the money on it. Why sublet what you can do yourself with your machine, which you're not quite done paying for?
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

In overall numbers I'd bet there are more people hand carving today than ever before. Population growth worldwide has been doing okay for itself.
I was at the Northeastern Woodworkers Association's 20th Annual Fine Woodworking Show in Saratoga this past weekend and Epilog Laser had a booth set up. The carving that the laser could do was stunning - the detail would be almost possible for anything with a pulse, and the time to hand carve it would be far too long to make it a profit making possibility.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JicYoDIw8HM
The Aztec calendar took about half an hour to cut. Quite impressive. But it did lack something.
Precise is not always synonymous with quality and appeal. For instance, there was the 1/x version of the Epilog walking around at the show and giving talks and demonstrations - Peter Follansbee. I was far more impressed with Follansbee's work than the Epilog. Since you like handwork, as I do, I think you'll like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9HBXBnt-e4
The blanket chest in that video, about 50 seconds in, has three carved front panels and takes him about three of four hours to carve...for all three. And he uses about a dozen tools to do it.
Roba - not sure if Epilog's files will work with your CNC setup, but it might be worth taking a look at their downloadable files. Maybe there's something in there you could use/cannibalize. http://www.epiloglaser.com/sample_club.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSiRuofOw8U

A Mayan calender I cut. Less than an hour.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/MayanCalender.jpg

I think any calendar that has a central theme of a guy sticking his tongue out at you doesn't bode well for the coming year. ;)
Nice work. That looks to be, what?, 16" in diameter? The one I posted, and the stuff I saw at the woodworking show was maybe 3" in diameter, and the medallions they had at the show were as fine as an engraving. Even dentists don't have bits that small (exaggeration, but not by much). Was that calendar a paid project or were you just playing around? I think that's one of the dangers of things like a CNC router or laser - it's like a computer. You're supposed to be doing work on it, but it's ever so much more fun to play around with it.