Red Colored Paint On Old Clock Cases

Hello To All...The question is what is the paint/stain that was used on the inside of now today's antique clocks. When I open an antique clock case and look inside I notice a brick red colored semitransparent finish on the wood. Does anyone know what they used back then to this? Milk paint wash or what? This process was used on some and not all wood cased clocks. Thanks In Advance...DR

Reply to
K & D Rossi

No idea - never seen one like it in may part of the world.

But nearly every red pigment is red ochre, still popular today. The carrier could be milk paint and for cases it often was. However if it's semi-translucent, then it's probably shellac.

It might have been a spirit varnish, but they've always been expensive and awkward compared to shellac.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thu, Apr 5, 2007, 12:00am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@flash.net (K=A0&=A0D=A0Rossi) doth queryeth: Hello To All...The question is what is the paint/stain that was used on the inside of now today's antique clocks. When I open an antique clock case and look inside I notice a brick red colored semitransparent finish on the wood.

I've got a German wall clock that was made about 1800. It desn't have any paint inside, of any color; does that mean it's just old, and not an anteek?.

I'd say you're asking the wrong people. I'd ask a antique clock expert, maybe the Smithsonian, or Antiques Roadshow. A lot would depend on when, and where, a clock was made, who made it, and other variables.

JOAT Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Reply to
J T

Does it look chalky? Milk paint perhaps?

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Thu, Apr 5, 2007, 1:38pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (SWDeveloper) doth respondeth to: On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:31:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote: Querying thusly: Does it look chalky? Milk paint perhaps?

Seeing as how I'm not the original poster, how the Hell would I know?