Red Bellow wood

Hi there,

I wonder if anybody can show me a good web site where I might find the info about many types of wood.

As I would like to know more about Red bellow wood, what type of wood is it. Is it soft, hard, can it be used for GF, etc. Is the color red, durable, easy to work with, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Best regards,

Albert de Pauly

Reply to
Albert

In message snipped-for-privacy@muurkrant.com, Albert snipped-for-privacy@muurkrant.com writes

A little.

Many timbers have "local" names. The name Bellau is the French name for Bengkirai, a type of teak sourced today from Indonesia. Strictly speaking Bellau is the same as Bengkirai, but from Vietnam (French Indochina) - though AFAIK Vietnam doesn't export timber and hasn't for decades since the "timberlands" are all in North Vietnam.

Bengkirai comes from Indonesia in two (sub) types, yellow and red. The yellow variety isn't yellow at all, just less rich in colour than the red.

Being in the teak family, Bengkirai has the same durability are working characteristics as any other teak. Often (and usually) any product manufactured from Bengkirai is marketed simply as "teak" - which of course it is. Bengkirai is used extensively in the production of "teak" plywood and teak-veneered products.

Reply to
Tony Morgan

Tony Morgan schreef

Bengkirai, a type of teak sourced today from Indonesia. Strictly speaking Bellau is the same as Bengkirai, but from Vietnam (French Indochina) - though AFAIK Vietnam doesn't export timber and hasn't for decades since the "timberlands" are all in North Vietnam.

yellow variety isn't yellow at all, just less rich in colour than the red.

characteristics as any other teak. Often (and usually) any product manufactured from Bengkirai is marketed simply as "teak" - which of course it is. Bengkirai is used extensively in the production of "teak" plywood and teak-veneered products.

Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind, it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly.

  • + + This is a pretty neat bit of wood illiteracy - deserves to be framed ;-)

Firstly it has nothing to do with teak. It is closer related to, say, cabbages and mustard than to teak. Meranti (lauan), red balau and balau are part of the same genus, which counts some 350 species. To make it easier some woods from closely related genera are thrown in in each of these trade groups ;-)

I would not know about North Vietnam, it may occur there (just, it occurs in Indochina and I would guess this includes South Vietnam and excludes North Vietnam?). Typically it comes from Malaysia, Borneo, Sumatra, the Philippines.

Balau is the international standard name, AFAIK from Malay origin. Red balau is the international standard name, and obviously English in origin.

Red balau is a lot better in quality than dark red meranti, but less than balau. Bangkirai is a selection from the balau group. PvR

PS: put in wreck terms: if you take Philippine mahogany, mentally make it two to three times as heavy, with a boost in other properties to match, you will have red balau.

PS II: for anybody who speaks Dutch, as apparently the OP does, this is a no-brainer. Any Dutch-speaker visiting any Dutch public library (or technical bookstore) and asking for a book on wood will have the answer to this question before he can really start looking. Easier than pie.

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

In Old Belleau Wood by Jack H. Monninger

There's a card-game tonight in Old Belleau Wood...all men should go...all mankind should!... There are German and French... there are British and Poles...and they come from the graves... or so it is told IN OLD BELLEAU WOOD!

French children have seen them... I wish you could... because they play in a clearing ... somewhere in the wood! They all carry guns... but they're too young to play... but they get together at the close of each day IN OLD BELLEAU WOOD!

Now... most disbelieve... what the children have said... for they know that the soldiers who lie there are dead... but I know it's true... for I've been where they play... and I found on the ground... this one ace-of-spades... IN OLD BELLEAU WOOD!

So come and believe... before it's too late... for maybe their gamble is much, much too great... IN OLD BELLEAU WOOD!

Yes, there's a card-game tonight IN OLD BELLEAU WOOD!

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson